"Do you think the dean could have been blackmailing Professor Marcelo?" I asked.
“你認為院長會勒索馬塞洛教授嗎?”我問。
"I was wondering the same thing," he said.
“我也在想同樣的事情,”杰夫叔叔說。
"If he was just bothering her, maybe she could ignore it.
“如果院長只是在打擾她,也許馬塞洛教授可以不用理會。
But if he was blackmailing her, that might explain why she went to his office two weeks ago and left so angrily.
但如果他是在敲詐她,這或許可以解釋為什么兩周前馬塞洛教授去了他的辦公室,然后憤然離去。
We're just guessing, but it's a possibility."
這只是我們的猜測,但這是有可能的。”
"Do you think her husband may have had something to do with it?" I asked.
“你認為她的丈夫可能和這件事有關嗎?”我問。
"It's hard to say," he said. "I don't think we can rule out Emil Marcelo.
“這很難說,”杰夫叔叔說。“我認為我們不能排除埃米爾·馬塞洛。
We only have Diana Marcelo's word that her husband wasn't angry anymore about their affair.
我們只是從戴安娜·馬塞洛那里聽說她丈夫不再對他們的事情生氣了。
Even if he was, he may have had reason to kill Alan Maurie if he were blackmailing them.
即使她的丈夫不生氣,如果院長勒索他們,他也有理由殺死毛里院長。
It's possible that he traveled back from Denver without anyone knowing."
他有可能在沒有人知道的情況下從丹佛回來。”
"That's two suspects so far," I said.
“到目前為止有兩個嫌疑人,”我說。
"Right. Now we come to Clara Dunn and Jennifer Brody," he said.
“好,現在我們來談談克拉拉·鄧恩和詹妮弗·布羅迪。”杰夫叔叔說。
"Not Jennifer!" I said. "I can't believe she could have done it."
“不是珍妮弗!”我說。“我真不敢相信她會做這件事。”
Uncle Jeff gave me a look of pity. "You just heard her motive," he said.
杰夫叔叔同情地看了我一眼。“你剛才聽到了她的動機,”杰夫叔叔說。
"Alan Maurie was blackmailing her with those photos.
“毛里院長用那些照片勒索她,
She was also in the right place at the right time.
她有作案的時間和地點。