"So, how was the move?" he asked when he walked through the front door.
杰夫叔叔從前門進來問道:“搬家怎么樣啊?”
"I never knew that one person could have so much stuff.
“我從來不知道一個人可以有這么多東西。
He had more furniture and clothes than a family of five," I said.
他的家具和衣服比一個五口之家的東西還多,”我說。
"What have you been doing?"
“你去哪了?”
"I did some checking on Emil Marcelo," he said.
“我去核實埃米爾·馬塞洛了,”他說。
"He works as a real estate agent and sells high-priced office buildings.
“他是一名房地產經紀人,銷售高價寫字樓。
According to his secretary, he was supposed to be in Denver. His wife was telling the truth."
據他的秘書說,他應該在丹佛。他的妻子說的是實話。”
"He could have come back without telling anyone," I said.
“他可以不告訴任何人就回來的,”我說。
"Yes, but that's something the police can check on easily,
“是的,警察可以輕易查到,
but that we'll have a hard time doing," he said.
案件調查接下來就有些難辦了,”杰夫叔叔說。
By this time, Uncle Jeff was heating up some food to eat, too.
這時,杰夫叔叔也在熱飯。
We didn't talk for about 10 minutes while we both concentrated on eating.
我們專心吃飯,沉默了有10分鐘左右。
When he was done, Uncle Jeff said, "I made another stop this afternoon.
吃完飯后,杰夫叔叔說:“我今天下午去了另一個地方,
I went to see Clara. The police have released her and she's back home.
我去看克拉拉了,警察已經釋放了她,她已經回家了。
She seems to be doing okay, not great, but better than yesterday."
她看起來還行,不是特別好,但比昨天好多了。”
"Does she remember any more about what happened?" I asked.
“她還記得發生了什么事嗎?”我問。
"No, not at all," he said.
“不,一點也不記得,”杰夫叔叔說。