She blinked her eyes a few times. She opened her mouth to speak,
她眨了眨眼睛,準備開口說話,
but then closed it again. She sat in silence for a full minute and then she started shaking her head.
然后又沉默了,就這樣坐了整整一分鐘,然后搖了搖頭。
"I can't believe it," she said. "You said this happened yesterday afternoon? How?"
“我簡直不敢相信,”她說。“你說這事是昨天下午發生的?”情況如何?”
"He was murdered. I don't know too much about it," Uncle Jeff said,
“他是被謀殺的,我對此了解不多,”杰夫叔叔說,
"but one of my friends, Clara Dunn, is at the police station right now because they think she may have killed him."
“但我的朋友克拉拉·鄧恩現在在警察局,警察認為可能是她殺了毛里院長。”
"But why are you here?" she said, suddenly looking alarmed.
“可你為什么來這兒呢?”她突然有些驚慌地說道。
"I need your help," he said. "I don't think Clara did it and I'm trying to find out more about Alan Maurie.
“我需要你的幫助,”杰夫叔叔說。“我認為克拉拉不會殺人,我正試圖了解更多關于艾倫·毛里的事情。
I want to find out who may have hated him enough to kill him."
我想知道到底是誰恨到要殺了他不可。”
"So you've heard the rumors," she said, sighing. "That's why you're talking to me.
“這么說你已經聽到謠言了,”她嘆了口氣說。“所以你才找到我。”
Yes, we had a relationship, but that's over. It's been over for six months."
是的,我們曾經有過一段感情,但現在結束了,已經過去六個月了。
I watched her closely, but I couldn't tell if she was lying.
我仔細觀察著她,但看不出她是否在說謊。
"Then what did you argue about two weeks ago?" he asked. "Someone heard you argue with the dean."
“那兩周前你和毛里院長在爭論什么呢?”“有人聽見你和院長吵架了。”
I could tell that Professor Marcelo didn't like the question.
我看得出馬塞洛教授不喜歡這個問題。