Dave had founded a company, Launch Media, in L.A. and sold it to Yahoo years earlier.
那一年,戴夫在洛杉磯創立了開啟傳媒公司,這家公司十幾年前被雅虎收購。
Yahoo's headquarters were in Northern California, where I lived and worked, but Dave's team remained in Los Angeles, where he lived and worked.
雅虎總部就在我生活和工作的北加州,而戴夫的團隊在洛杉磯。
When we started dating, we decided to base our life together in the Bay Area,
剛開始約會時,我們決定將共同生活的地點定在舊金山灣區,
so Dave began commuting, typically spending Monday through Thursday in Southern California and then flying north to spend weekends with me.
于是戴夫開始了來回往返的生活:周一到周四他在南加州,周末坐飛機到北部和我相聚。
This pattern continued even after we were married.
甚至在結婚后,我們仍延續著這種生活方式。
After the birth of our son, Dave began flying back and forth several times a week.
兒子出生后,戴夫一周往返的次數增加了。
It was great that we had the ability for him to commute, but it was far from ideal.
他能這樣做實在幫了大忙,但離理想狀態還很遠。
Even though he was making an exhausting effort to be with me and our baby, he was still gone a lot.
為了與我和孩子在一起他都累垮了,但他仍不能總陪在我們身邊,
Since I was with the baby fulltime, the great majority of child care fell to me.
因此我承擔了絕大多數照顧孩子的工作。
The division of labor felt uneven and strained our marriage.
這種勞動分工似乎是不公平的,我們的婚姻也為此承受了很大壓力。
We hired a nanny, but she couldn't solve all our problems;
之后,我們雇用了一位保姆,但這不能解決所有問題,
the emotional support and shared experience that a spouse provides cannot be bought.
情感上的支持和生活點滴的分享是無法用金錢換來的。
After a few short months of parenthood, we had already fallen into traditional, lopsided gender roles.
為人父母僅幾個月后,我們就已經掉入了傳統的、不平衡的性別角色之中。
We were not unique. In the last thirty years, women have made more progress in the workforce than in the home.
我們這種情況并不特殊。在過去30年里,女性在職場上的進步遠大于家庭。
According to the most recent analysis, when a husband and wife both are employed fulltime,
根據最近的一項分析,在美國,當丈夫和妻子都有全職工作時,
the mother does 40 percent more child care and about 30 percent more housework than the father.
母親對孩子的照顧、所做的家務分別比父親多出40%和30%。