It was all worth it when my son was pronounced healthy and the nausea that I had felt for nine straight months vanished within an hour.
當醫生宣布我的兒子非常健康時,我覺得所有的痛苦都是值得的,9個月持續不斷的妊娠反應也完全消失。
The worst was over.
最痛苦的時候似乎已經過去了。
The next morning, I got out of bed in my hospital room, took one step, and fell to the floor.
第二天早晨,我從病床上起來,剛邁了一步就跌倒在地上。
Apparently I had yanked my leg back so hard during labor that I had pulled a tendon.
原來分娩時太過用力,讓我拉傷了肌腱。
I was on crutches for a week.
我拄著拐杖度過了一個星期。
Being unable to stand added a degree of difficulty to my first week of motherhood but also provided one unforeseen benefit:
無法站立的狀況讓我在當母親的頭幾周里遇到了更多困難,但也帶來了事先沒想到的好處:
Dave became the primary caregiver for our newborn.
大多數時候,照顧寶寶的人是戴夫。
Dave had to get up when the baby cried, bring him to me to be fed, change him, and then get him back to sleep.
孩子一哭,戴夫就得起床把他抱到我身邊吃奶、換尿布,然后再哄他睡覺。
Normally, the mother becomes the instant baby care expert.
通常情況下,妻子是處理各類緊急情況的育兒專家,
In our case, Dave taught me how to change a diaper when our son was eight days old.
但我們家卻是由戴夫教我怎么給8天大的兒子換尿布。
If Dave and I had planned this, we would have been geniuses. But we didn't and we aren't.
如果戴夫和我能事先想到這一幕,那我們就是天才了。但是我們沒有并且也不是天才。
In fact, we should have planned a lot more.
事實上,我們的確應該準備得再充分些。
When I was six months pregnant, a Ph.D. candidate interviewed me by phone for her dissertation on working couples.
當我懷孕6個月時,一位博士候選人為撰寫一篇關于上班族夫妻的論文對我進行了電話采訪。
She began by asking, "How do you do it all?"
她一開始就問:“你是怎么做到這一切的?”
I said, "I don't. I don't even have a child," and suggested that she interview someone who actually did.
我說:“沒有啊,我的孩子都還沒生出來呢。”我建議她采訪那些生完孩子的人。