"Perhaps I have, but I'm scared just the same," said the Lion.
“可能有吧,可我還是很害怕,”獅子說。
"I shall really be very unhappy unless you give me the sort of courage that makes one forget he is afraid."
“除非你讓我忘記自己是個膽小鬼,否則,我仍舊是十分不快樂的。”
"Very well, I will give you that sort of courage tomorrow," replied Oz.
奧芝回答說:“很好,明天我可以給你那種膽量。”
"How about my heart?" asked the Tin Woodman.
“關于我的心怎么樣?”鐵皮人問。
"Why, as for that," answered Oz, "I think you are wrong to want a heart.
“啊,天哪,”奧芝回答道,“你想要一顆心的想法是錯誤的。
It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart."
那東西給很多人帶來麻煩。只要你明白這一點,那么,沒有一顆心正是你的幸福。”
"That must be a matter of opinion," said the Tin Woodman.
“我們的想法不同,”鐵皮人說。
"For my part, I will bear all the unhappiness without a murmur, if you will give me the heart."
“在我看來,如果你給我一顆心,我寧愿忍受著世間的煩惱,我毫無怨言。”
"Very well," answered Oz meekly.
“那樣的話,”奧芝溫和而謙遜地說到。
"Come to me tomorrow and you shall have a heart.
“明天到我這里來,我給你一顆心。
I have played Wizard for so many years that I may as well continue the part a little longer."
我多年來一直玩著魔術,那我可以同樣地再來表演一次。”
"And now," said Dorothy, "how am I to get back to Kansas?"
“那么,”多蘿茜說,“你怎么把我送回堪薩斯州去?”
"We shall have to think about that," replied the little man.
“恐怕我們要商量一下,”矮小的老頭兒回答說。
"Give me two or three days to consider the matter and I'll try to find a way to carry you over the desert.
“你給我兩天或者更長的時間,來仔細地考慮這件事情,我會想出一個辦法來,帶著你離開這里。
In the meantime you shall all be treated as my guests, and while you live in the Palace my people will wait upon you and obey your slightest wish.
在這期間,你們將像我的賓客一樣受到很好招待,當你們盡管住在我的宮殿里,我的人民將要侍候你們,并且聽從你們的最微細的差使。
There is only one thing I ask in return for my help--such As It Is.
只有一件事情,我要請求你們答應我,作為對我工作的酬謝——就是這樣。
You must keep my secret and tell no one I am a humbug."
你們必須信守我的秘密,不能讓任何人知道,我是一個騙子。”
They agreed to say nothing of what they had learned, and went back to their rooms in high spirits.
他們都贊成,對這一切都保密,高高興興地回到他們的房間去。
Even Dorothy had hope that "The Great and Terrible Humbug," as she called him, would find a way to send her back to Kansas,
即使多蘿茜也在期盼那被她辱罵過的“偉大的可怕的騙子”的奧芝,想出一個辦法來,送她回到堪薩斯州去,
and if he did she was willing to forgive him everything.
假如他能辦到,無論什么事她都寬恕了他。