"I think you are a very bad man," said Dorothy.
多蘿茜說:“我想你是一個很壞的騙子。”
"Oh, no, my dear; I'm really a very good man, but I'm a very bad Wizard, I must admit."
“啊,不是的,我的親愛的;我必須承認我真正的是一個好人;但是我是一個笨拙的魔術師。”
"Can't you give me brains?" asked the Scarecrow.
“你可以給我腦子嗎?”稻草人問。
"You don't need them. You are learning something every day.
“你用不著它。你每天在學習一些東西。
A baby has brains, but it doesn't know much.
一個初生的嬰兒就有腦子,但是他不能立刻就知道許多東西。
Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge,
經驗是帶來知識的唯一有價值的,
and the longer you are on earth the more experience you are sure to get."
你在這世界上生活愈長久,你學到的東西就越多。”
"That may all be true," said the Scarecrow, "but I shall be very unhappy unless you give me brains."
“也許我可以相信,”稻草人說,“但是沒有腦子我不會快樂,除非你給我一個腦子。”
The false Wizard looked at him carefully.
這個假魔術師默默地注視著他。
"Well," he said with a sigh, "I'm not much of a magician, as I said;
“好吧,”他嘆著一口氣說道,“我雖然不是像我夸口的是一個干練的魔術家;
but if you will come to me tomorrow morning, I will stuff your head with brains.
假如明天早晨你到我這里來,我將用腦子塞進在你的腦殼里。
I cannot tell you how to use them, however; you must find that out for yourself."
但是我不能夠告訴你怎樣地去運用腦子;你必須自己學會運用它。”
"Oh, thank you--thank you!" cried the Scarecrow. "I'll find a way to use them, never fear!"
“啊,謝謝你,謝謝你!”稻草人喊道。“不必擔心,我會想出一個辦法,來運用腦子!”
"But how about my courage?" asked the Lion anxiously.
“你會給我膽量嗎?”獅子煩躁地問他。
"You have plenty of courage, I am sure," answered Oz.
“我相信你很有膽量,”奧芝回答說。
"All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger.
“你所需要的是自信。在你遇見危險的時候,每一種生物都會害怕的。
The True courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty."
真正的膽量,是不要膽怯,勇敢面對著危險,那種膽量,你是并不缺少的。”