"What do you mean?" I asked.
“你說的什么意思?”我問。
"Dean Maurie likes women, all kinds of women.
“毛里院長喜歡女人,各種女人都喜歡。
He is known around here as a womanizer.
他在這兒是出了名的花花公子。
He has been having an affair with Professor Marcelo."
他和馬塞洛教授有染。”
"Diana Marcelo?" I asked, surprised.
“戴安娜馬塞洛?”我吃驚地問道。
"But isn't she married?"
“可她不是結婚了嗎?”
"Yes, she is, and two weeks ago,
“是的,兩周前,
I overheard a big fight she had with the dean in his office.
我無意中聽到她和院長在辦公室大吵了一架。
I didn't hear what they said, but Professor Marcelo didn't look happy when she left.
我沒聽到他們說什么,但馬塞洛教授離開時看起來很不開心。
In fact, I have never seen a woman so angry."
事實上,我從未見過一個女人這么生氣。”
"You said he liked women—plural," I said.
“你說他喜歡女人,”我說。
"Were there others?"
“他在外面有人了?”
"I think so," Ben said.
“我想是的,”本說。
"I heard that he was having a romantic relationship with a student,
“我聽說他和一個學生談戀愛,
but I don't know if it's true."
但我不知道是不是真的。”
"Do you know her name?" I asked.
“你知道她的名字嗎?”我問。
"No, I don't. Sorry," he said.
“不,我不知道。對不起,”他說。
"Don't be," I said. "You've been really helpful."
“別說對不起,”我說。“你真是幫了大忙。”
"Anytime," Ben said. "Are you sure you can't tell me what this is all about?"
“你總是在幫助我,”本說。“你確定你不能告訴我這是怎么回事嗎?”
"I wish I could," I said.
“但愿我能,”我說。