"Congratulations on the scholarship.
“祝賀你獲得獎學金,
Let me know when you have some free time. We'll go out and celebrate," I said.
有空的時候告訴我一聲,我們出去慶祝一下,”我說。
"Listen, Ben, the reason I'm here is that I need some information."
“聽著,本,我來這里是因為我需要掌握一些信息。”
"Information? Sure. What do you need?"
“信息?當然可以,你需要什么信息?”
I got up and closed the office door.
我站起來,關上門。
"I need some background information on Dean Maurie," I said.
“我需要一些關于毛里院長的背景信息,”我說。
Ben looked uncomfortable and didn't say anything for a minute.
本看上去很不自在,一分鐘沒說一句話。
"Why?" he said finally.
“為什么?”他最后說道。
"I can't tell you right now, but it's important," I told him.
“我現在不能告訴你,但這很重要,”我告訴本。
"I'm trying to find out if the dean has any enemies.
“我想知道院長是不是什么仇人。
Has he had problems with anyone lately?"
他最近和誰有過恩怨嗎?”
"Well...I feel strange talking about the dean," Ben said.
“嗯……我感覺談論院長很奇怪。”本說。
"He's my boss and he's helped me a lot."
“他是我的老板,他幫了我很多。”
"Ben, all I can tell you is that I'm trying to help him, not hurt him. I promise you that."
“本,我只能告訴你,我是在幫助他,而不是傷害他,我向你保證。”
"Well, I guess I can tell you what I know," he said.
“好吧,我想我可以告訴你我所知道的,”他說。
"Enemies? I don't know if they are enemies,
“仇人?我不知道他們是不是敵人,
but there are at least two people who have had problems with him lately—personal problems."
但至少有兩個人最近和他有過沖突——個人恩怨。”