About 10 minutes after Professor Dunn left,
鄧恩教授離開大約10分鐘后,
there was a knock on the front door.
前門傳來敲門聲。
Uncle Jeff opened it.
杰夫叔叔打開門。
"Hi, Professor McQueen."
“你好,麥奎因教授。”
Uncle Jeff stepped back to let Sydney Morita, my best friend, into the house.
杰夫叔叔退后一步,讓我最好的朋友——西德尼·森田進了屋子。
"Good to see you, Sydney," my uncle said.
“西德尼,很高興見到你”杰夫叔叔說。
"Well, I'd better get to work."
“我也很高興見到你,我得去工作了。”
He walked into his office.
杰夫叔叔走進辦公室。
I knew that he would start on the new case right away.
我知道他會立即著手處理這個新案子。
"I wanted to see if you wanted to study for the chemistry test on Friday," Sydney said to me.
“我想知道你是否愿意為周五的化學考試復習,”西德尼對我說。
Sydney and I have been friends since the third grade.
從三年級起,我和西德尼就成為朋友了。
Sydney's family lived down the street from me when I was growing up.
小時候,我和西德尼是鄰居。
My father is from Mexico and Sydney's dad is from Japan.
我的父親是墨西哥人,西德尼的父親是日本人。
We just seemed to have a lot of things in common
我們似乎有很多共同點,
and we have been friends ever since.
從那以后我們一直是朋友。
Now, Sydney is a student at California University, too.
現在,西德尼也在加利福尼亞大學上學。
"The chemistry test! Oh no! I forgot all about it," I said.
化學測試!噢,不!我把它全忘了,”我說。
"After the ‘C' I got on the last test, I need to do a lot better on this one."
“上次考試得了‘C’,這次考試我得好好努力了。”
"That's why I'm here," Sydney said.
“這就是我來這里的原因,”西德尼說。
"I'll help you study for it."
“我會幫你復習的。”
"I don't know why you bother," I said.
“我不知道你為什么這么擔心,”我說。
"I'm terrible at chemistry. I'm just hoping to pass the class at this point."
“我化學很糟糕。我只希望這次能及格”