He thought maybe an unhappy student had sent it to him as a joke or to scare him.
他想也許是哪個不開心的學生把這寄給他當作一個玩笑或者嚇唬他。
He didn't take it seriously. In fact, he threw the letter away.
他沒有把這當回事。事實上,他把信扔掉了。
He told me about it only later, when he received his third letter."
后來他收到了第三封信,才把這件事告訴了我。”
"What did the other two letters say?" I asked.
“另外兩封信是怎么說的?”我問。
"The exact same thing," she said.
“完全一樣,”她說。
"'You will die soon.' The dean is still not too worried, but I am.
“‘你很快就會死的。’院長不太擔心,但我很擔心。
That's why I'm here. I want your help."
這就是我來這兒的原因,我需要你的幫助。”
"My help? Why me?" asked Uncle Jeff. "Why not go to the police?"
“我的幫助?為什么是我?”杰夫叔叔問。“為什么不去報警呢?”
"The dean doesn't want to call the police.
“院長不想叫警察,
He doesn't want the university to have bad publicity," Professor Dunn said.
他不希望破壞學校的名聲。”鄧恩教授說。
"If the newspapers find out,
“如果報紙報道了,
students may get scared and their parents might not want them to continue studying at California University.
學生可能會感到害怕,他們的父母可能不希望自己的孩子繼續在加利福尼亞大學學習。
He doesn't want that. To be honest, he still doesn't want to do anything about the letters,
校長不希望這樣的事情發生。老實說,他仍然不想就這些信采取任何行動,
but I convinced him to let me come to you."
但我說服了他,讓我到你這里來。”
"Again, why me?" Uncle Jeff asked. "Why not get a professional investigator,
“再問一下,為什么是我?”杰夫叔叔問道。“為什么不找個專業的調查員,
someone who has a lot of experience with these kinds of things?"
他們處理這類事情經驗豐富,不是嗎?”