"Please go on, Clara," Uncle Jeff said. "You were telling us about some letters."
“請您接著說,”杰夫叔叔說道。“你剛才提到幾封信。”
Clara Dunn looked at her hands and sighed. She looked tired.
克拉拉·鄧恩看著她的雙手,嘆了口氣,她看起來很累。
"Yes, letters," said Professor Dunn. "As you know, I now work at California University.
“是的,信。”鄧恩教授說,“如你所知,我現在在加利福尼亞大學工作,
I have worked in the psychology department for about three years.
我在心理學系工作了三年左右。
Last year, I was promoted and became the assistant dean of the College."
去年,我被提升為學院的副院長。”
She continued, "The dean—Alan Maurie—is in charge, of course.
她接著說道:“院長當然是——艾倫·毛里——負責。
And he likes being the boss and doing things his way.
他喜歡當老板,按照自己的方式做事。
But he isn't good at the day-today details and I help him run the College.
但他不擅長處理細節,我幫他管理學院。
It's a big job, but I've enjoyed it. Until recently."
這個工作很龐大,但我很喜歡,一直到最近。”
"About three weeks ago, Dean Maurie received an anonymous letter.
大約三周前,毛里院長收到了一封匿名信。
Since there was no name on it, we don't know who sent it."
因為上面沒有名字,我們不知道是誰寄來的。
Uncle Jeff asked, "What did the letter say?"
杰夫叔叔問:“信上說了什么?”
"It just said: ‘You will die soon,'" Professor Dunn said.
“信上只說:‘你很快就會死’,”鄧恩教授說。
"What did the dean say when he got the letter?" Uncle Jeff wanted to know.
“院長收到信后說了什么?”杰夫叔叔想知道。