"We both read in paper about how you helped solve the murder last month.
“我和院長在報紙上看到了你上個月是如何幫助破案的。
And I have been learning about the other cases that you helped to solve in the past few years.
我一直在學習你在過去的幾年里幫助解決的其他案例。
Dean Maurie doesn't want to do anything, but I told him that I knew you, Jeff.
毛里院長什么都不想做,但我告訴他我認識你,杰夫。
I told him that you would be discreet and very careful to keep things quiet.
我告訴他,你會謹慎小心,不會把事情張揚出去。
Also, you used to be a professor at California U.
另外,你曾經是加利福尼亞大學的教授。
You understand the University.
你了解大學。
You know whom to talk to and whom not to talk to to keep this quiet."
你知道該和誰說話,不該和誰說話,保持沉默。”
Professor Dunn stopped and looked at Uncle Jeff.
鄧恩教授停下來,看了看杰夫叔叔。
"You are the only one who can help us," she said. She looked at him hopefully.
“你是唯一能幫助我們的人,”她說。鄧恩滿懷希望地看著杰夫。
Uncle Jeff didn't answer right away. I could see he was thinking.
杰夫叔叔沒有立刻答復,我知道他在想什么。
Finally, after a few minutes, he said,
終于,幾分鐘后,杰夫叔叔說,
"Okay, Clara, I'll look into it. I can't promise I'll find out who wrote those letters, but I'll try."
“好吧,克拉拉,我去查一查,我不能保證我會找出是誰寫的那些信,但我會努力的。”
Professor Dunn smiled for the first time.
鄧恩教授還是第一次笑。
"Thank you, Jeff. This means a lot to me.
“謝謝你,杰夫。這對我來說意義重大。
You don't know how worried I've been. I'm sure you'll find out who is behind all of this."
你不知道我有多擔心,我相信你會找到這一切的幕后黑手。
"I'll do what I can, Clara. I'll do what I can."
“我會盡力的,克拉拉,我將盡我所能。”
I was glad that my uncle was going to help Professor Dunn.
我很高興杰夫叔叔能幫助鄧恩教授
It seemed like a simple thing: Find the person who wrote the letters.
看起來很簡單:找到寫信的人。
But, based on past experience,
但是,根據過去的經驗,
many simple things have a way of turning into big things—big, dangerous things.
許多簡單的事情都有可能變成大的陰謀——重大而危險。