When he came to her again with yet another question, she turned to him with a huge smile and said,
當他幾天后找萊文提問題時,萊文笑容滿面地對他說:
"I am going to answer all of your questions. I really am.
“你的所有問題我都會回答,真的。
But right now, the only thing that is going to keep me from falling down on the floor and having a heart attack right in front of you
不過,如果你不怕我急得突發心臟病,
is for you to get out of your chair, go back to your desk, and write the paragraphs we need for Congress."
那么就請你趕緊把稿子寫了。”
It worked beautifully.
這番話果然立刻起效。
A colleague at Google, Adam Freed, and I were frustrated by someone at work who was making our jobs very difficult.
在谷歌工作時,由于某位員工的個人原因,我們的工作很難開展。當時,亞當·弗里德和我常常感到泄氣。
I met with her several times and earnestly explained that I felt that she was second-guessing our every move and preventing progress.
我和這個員工面談過幾次,并且非常誠心地向她解釋說,我感覺她總是在事后對我們工作進行負面的評判,以致阻礙了項目的進展。
During each heartfelt discussion, she would listen and nod and thank me for raising the matter.
在交流時,她都會邊聽邊點頭,并感謝我能如實相告。
I would leave feeling better. Then the situation would get worse.
當時我的心情也好了許多,但此后情況卻沒有任何好轉。
Adam took a totally different approach.
弗里德和我采用的方式完全不同。
He invited her to lunch.
他邀請那位員工一起吃午餐、
They met at the Google cafe, chatted a bit, and then he looked at her and jokingly asked, "Why do you hate me?"
聊天,然后看著她,半開玩笑地問道:“你為什么會那么恨我呢?”
Where I had failed repeatedly, Adam broke through.
我那過不去的坎兒,弗里德一下子就過去了。
She asked why he would make that joke, which gave him a chance to explain in a way she was able to hear.
她問他為什么要這么說,于是弗里德用她能真正接受的方式處理了這個問題。
Unfortunately, our sense of humor sometimes fails us when we need it most.
遺憾的是,當最需要幽默感的時候,我們往往力不從心。
When I get emotional, it's very hard for me to treat a problem lightly.
當我情緒開始激動時,便很難輕松地面對問題。