"This is a strange, strange email," my uncle said.
“這是一封奇怪的電子郵件,”叔叔說。
He looked up from a piece of paper he was reading.
他從報紙中抬起頭來。
"What is so weird?" I asked.
“有什么奇怪的?”我問。
It was 8:00 a.m. and we were eating breakfast in the kitchen.
早上8點,我們正在廚房吃早餐。
"My old friend, Clara Dunn, is now a professor at California University," Uncle Jeff said.
“我的老朋友克拉拉·鄧恩現在是加州大學的教授,”杰夫叔叔說。
"She wants to meet with me this week. And she says she wants to talk to me about something very important."
“她想這個星期見我,她說她有非常重要的事情想和我談。”
"I haven't seen her in over twenty years," he explained.
“我有二十多年沒見過她了,”他解釋說。
"We were both teaching at the University of New York and we were good friends.
“我們都在紐約大學教書,我們是好朋友。
But when I took a job at California University and moved to Los Angeles, we lost touch.
但當我在加州大學找到工作,搬到洛杉磯后,我們失去了聯系。
We haven't seen or talked to each other for a long, long time. I didn't know she had moved to California, too."
我們很長,很長時間沒有見過面或說過話,我不知道她也搬到了加利福尼亞州。”
"Did she say anything in the email about what she wanted to talk to you about or why it was so important?" I asked.
“她有沒有在郵件里說過她想和你談什么,什么事這么重要?”我問。
"No…no, not really. She just said that she is afraid about something and she wants my help.
“不……不,不是什么重要的事兒。她只是說她有點害怕,她需要我的幫助。
That is why I think it is so strange. Clara Dunn is a very smart and strong woman.
這就是為什么我認為如此奇怪。克拉拉·鄧恩是一個非常聰明和堅強的女人。
She isn't scared of anything. If she is afraid of something, it must be something serious," he said.
她什么都不怕。如果她害怕什么,那一定是很嚴重的事。”他說。
Uncle Jeff looked at the email again. He looked worried.
杰夫叔叔又看了看郵件,看起來憂心忡忡。