"We have to go, Dr. Reeves!" Anne said excitedly.
“我們要走了,里夫斯教授!”安妮興奮地說。
"That was Bill on the phone. He is at a restaurant called Cafe Pico. Sarah's been kidnapped!"
是比爾的電話。他在一家叫做比科咖啡的地方。薩拉被綁架了!”
"Kidnapped? Are you sure?" I asked, somewhat incredulously.
“綁架?你確定?”我有些懷疑的問道。
"I'm sure. Someone has taken Sarah," Anne replied.
“確定。有人抓了薩拉,”安妮答道。
"Bill said that a man is holding her, and he will kill her if we don't give him the ransom he's demanding."
“比爾說那個男人抓住了她,如果我們不給給贖金,那個男人就會殺了她。
Anne was pulling me to the door of the apartment. "Come on! Bill said he will explain at the restaurant."
安妮拉著我走道公寓門口。“快點!比爾說他會在餐廳解釋的。”
I closed the door to the apartment and followed Anne down the stairs and into my car.
我關上公寓的門,跟著安妮下樓,坐進我的車里。
The weather was typical for Los Angeles: sunny, 75 degrees, with brown smog covering the city.
典型的洛杉磯天氣“晴天、75度、棕色的霧籠罩城市。
L.A. is a city of dreams. But for some people, it's a city of nightmares.
L.A.是一座夢幻之城。但多一些人來說,這是一座噩夢之城。
Anne and I drove down Robertson Avenue in my old red Mustang, going around cars as fast as we could without causing a pile-up.
安妮和我開著我那老式的紅色野馬來到羅伯森大街,我們快速驅車,并保證不會造成連環撞車事故。
"Where is this cafe again?" I asked her.
“咖啡廳在哪來著?”我問她。
"On Robertson and Pico, next to a bookstore," Anne answered. She was justifiably nervous. You could tell it in her eyes.
“在羅伯森大街的比科咖啡,在一個書店旁邊,”安妮回答。她很緊張。我可以從她的眼睛里看出來。