Fear of seeming negative or nagging.
害怕看上去過于消極或啰唆,
Fear that constructive criticism will come across as just plain old criticism.
害怕自己的批評意見聽起來像是陳詞濫調,
Fear that by speaking up, we will call attention to ourselves, which might open us up to attack
害怕自己的發言會招來攻擊
(a fear brought to us by that same voice in the back of our heads that urges us not to sit at the table).
(就如同我們告誡自己別往桌前坐一樣)。
Communication works best when we combine appropriateness with authenticity,
交流的最佳效果來自談吐得體且態度真誠,
finding that sweet spot where opinions are not brutally honest but delicately honest.
其關鍵點在于你不需要直愣愣地冒出大實話,而是適當修飾后的誠實表達。
Speaking truthfully without hurting feelings comes naturally to some and is an acquired skill for others.
在不傷及別人的前提下又能實話實說,這對一些人來說輕松自如,而對另一些人來說則是一門需要學習的技巧。
I definitely needed help in this area. Fortunately, I found it.
我在這方面也尚待提高,還好我得到了很多幫助。
When Dave was at Yahoo, he attended a management training program taught by Fred Kofman,
戴夫還在雅虎工作時,參加過弗雷德·科夫曼主持的管理培訓項目。
a former MIT professor and author of Conscious Business.
科夫曼曾是麻省理工學院的教授,并著有《清醒的企業》一書。
Dave hates training of any kind, and the human resources team at Yahoo had to force him to attend the two-day session.
戴夫不喜歡任何形式的培訓,因此雅虎的人力資源團隊不得不強迫他參加此次為期兩天的研習會。
When he came home after the first day, he surprised me by describing the training as "not too bad."
第一天結束后,他對這次培訓做出“還行”的評論,讓我頗感意外。
By the end of the second day, he started quoting Fred and making observations about our communication.
第二天回家后,他就開始引用科夫曼的話,對我們之間的交流大加點評。
I was in shock; this guy must be good.
我真是大吃一驚:這位科夫曼教授一定非常出色。
So I called Fred, introduced myself, and said, "I don't know what you do, but I want you to do it for my team at Google."
于是我和他通了個電話介紹自己,并且告訴他:“我不知道你具體在做什么,不過我希望你也能為谷歌的團隊做同樣的培訓。”