Again the eyes looked at her sharply, and they saw she was telling the truth.
那一雙眼睛又尖銳地注視她,見她說的是真話。
Then Oz asked, "What do you wish me to do?"
于是奧芝問道:“你要請求我做什么?”
"Send me back to Kansas, where my Aunt Em and Uncle Henry are," she answered earnestly.
“送我回堪薩斯州去,那里住著我的愛姆嬸嬸和亨利叔叔,”她懇切地回答。
"I don't like your country, although it is so beautiful.
“雖然你的國土多么美麗,我卻不喜歡。
And I am sure Aunt Em will be dreadfully worried over my being away so long."
我相信愛姆嬸嬸會因為我離開她這么長時間而感到深深的憂愁。”
The eyes winked three times, and then they turned up to the ceiling and down to the floor and rolled around so queerly that they seemed to see every part of the room.
那一雙眼睛眨了三次,隨后又轉著看到上面的天花板和下面的地板,并且那么怪異地四周滾動著,仿佛要看透這屋子里的每一個部分。
And at last they looked at Dorothy again.
最后又注視著多蘿茜。
"Why should I do this for you?" asked Oz.
奧芝問:“為什么我要為你這樣做?”
"Because you are strong and I am weak; because you are a Great Wizard and I am only a little girl."
“因為你是強者,我是弱者;因為你是一個偉大的魔術家,我只是一個無能的小女孩。”
"But you were strong enough to kill the Wicked Witch of the East," said Oz.
奧芝說:“但是,你卻強得足夠殺死東方的惡女巫呢。”
"That just happened," returned Dorothy simply; "I could not help it."
多蘿茜簡單地回答:“那只是碰巧的事情,我并不是有意的啊。”
"Well," said the Head, "I will give you my answer.
“唔,”那個頭說,“我回答你。
You have no right to expect me to send you back to Kansas unless you do something for me in return.
除非你為我做一點事情作為代價,你沒有權利希望我送你回到堪薩斯州去。
In this country everyone must pay for everything he gets.
在這個國土里,每一個人要得到每一件東西,就必須付出代價。
If you wish me to use my magic power to send you home again you must do something for me first. Help me and I will help you."
倘使你要我使用魔術的力量,送你再回到家里去,首先你必須為我做一點事情。你幫助了我,隨后我再幫助你。”
"What must I do?" asked the girl.
女孩子問:“我必須做點什么事?”
"Kill the Wicked Witch of the West," answered Oz.
奧芝回答說:“殺死那個西方的惡女巫。”
"But I cannot!" exclaimed Dorothy, greatly surprised.
多蘿茜大吃一驚,高聲地說:“但是,我做不到!”
"You killed the Witch of the East and you wear the silver shoes, which bear a powerful charm.
“你殺掉了東方的女巫,穿著這一雙銀鞋子,它有一種很大的神力。
There is now but one Wicked Witch left in all this land, and when you can tell me she is dead I will send you back to Kansas-but not before."
現在只剩下一個惡女巫在這世界上,當你能夠告訴我她已經死去時,我便送你回到堪薩斯州去—但是在這以前,不能夠送你回家。”