How do you do it? Well you have this great big tank full of liquid detergent.
你怎么做呢? 你有這么一大池子的液體清潔劑。
You pump it at a high pressure through a nozzle. You create a spray of detergent.
你用高壓將它壓過一個噴嘴,你制造了清潔劑噴霧。
Then the spray dries. It turns into powder. It falls to the floor.
噴霧干燥后就成了粉末,掉在地板上。
You scoop it up. You put it in cardboard boxes. You sell it at a supermarket.
你將它鏟起,放入一個紙板盒子里。你到超市去賣。
You make lots of money. How do you design that nozzle? It turns out to be very important.
你可以賺好多錢。你怎么設計噴嘴,結果這個很重要。
Now if you ascribe to the God complex, what you do is you find yourself a little God.
如果你傾向于用萬能神力來解決這個問題。
You find yourself a mathematician; you find yourself a physicist -- somebody who understands the dynamics of this fluid.
你會覺得自己是個小上帝,你會發現自己是個數學家,物理學家,是一個懂得液體動態的專家。
And he will, or she will, calculate the optimal design of the nozzle.
他或者她會計算管口的最佳設計方案。
Now Unilever did this and it didn't work -- too complicated. Even this problem, too complicated.
聯合利華這么做了,但是失敗了,太復雜了。即使是這樣的問題,也太復雜了。
But the geneticist Professor Steve Jones describes how Unilever actually did solve this problem -- trial and error, variation and selection.
但是遺傳學家史蒂文瓊斯教授,講述了聯合利華其實是怎樣解決這個問題的。
You take a nozzle and you create 10 random variations on the nozzle.
試驗和失敗,改變和選擇,你拿一個管口,你隨機地做出10個不同的管口。
You try out all 10; you keep the one that works best.
你測試這10個管口,你把最好的那個保留下來。
You create 10 variations on that one. You try out all 10. You keep the one that works best.
你再拿這個做基礎再做10個不同的管口,你測試這10個,你把最好的保留下來。
You try out 10 variations on that one. You see how this works, right?
你再這個基礎上測試10個,你知道這是怎么做出來的了吧?
And after 45 generations, you have this incredible nozzle.
經過45輪測試后,你們就得到了這個很好的噴嘴管口。
It looks a bit like a chess piece -- functions absolutely brilliantly.
這個看上去有點象國際象棋棋子——工作起來絕對高效。