Five thousand products -- that's still nothing.
5000個產品,這還沒什么。
Five thousand products -- imagine counting every product category in Cesar Hidalgo's data.
5000個產品,想象我們來數塞薩爾·伊達爾戈數據中的每個產品的目錄。
Imagine you had one second per product category.
想象你每一秒鐘,聽到一個產品種類的名字
In about the length of this session, you would have counted all 5,000.
大約用這段會議的時間,你可以數完5000個產品
Now imagine doing the same thing for every different type of product on sale in Walmart.
現在你再想象去數各種,不同的在沃爾瑪銷售的產品。
There are 100,000 there. It would take you all day.
那有10萬種,那大概需要一天才能數完。
Now imagine trying to count every different specific product and service on sale in a major economy such as Tokyo,
現在你想象去數,在主要經濟體中銷售的每種不同的特殊產品和服務。
London or New York. It's even more difficult in Edinburgh because you have to count all the whisky and the tartan.
比如,東京,倫敦或者紐約,在愛丁堡就更難了,因為你得數所有的威士忌和格子呢絨。
If you wanted to count every product and service on offer in New York -- there are 10 billion of them -- it would take you 317 years.
如果你要數在紐約提供的產品和服務,那就有100億種,你得數317年。
This is how complex the economy we've created is.
這就是我們創造的復雜的經濟體。
And I'm just counting toasters here.
而我這只是在這里數烤面包機而已。
I'm not trying to solve the Middle East problem.
我沒想去解決中東問題。
The complexity here is unbelievable.
所以問題的復雜性是不可思議的。
And just a piece of context -- the societies in which our brains evolved had about 300 products and services.
我再提供一個背景數據,我們大腦演變的社會具有300多種產品和服務。
You could count them in five minutes.
你可以在5分鐘里數完他們。