"Well," said the Cowardly Lion, drawing a long breath of relief, " I see we are going to live a little while longer,
“好了,”膽小的獅子吸著一口長長的氣安慰地說,“我們都能活得再長點了,
and I am glad of it, for it must be a very uncomfortable thing not to be alive.
我很高興,因為死畢竟不是什么好事。
Those creatures frightened me so badly that my heart is beating yet."
這些該死的怪獸,那樣兇猛的撲過來,使得我的心現在還跳得很厲害呢。”
"Ah," said the Tin Woodman sadly, "I wish I had a heart to beat."
鐵皮人卻憂愁地說:“唉,我倒希望我有一個心被嚇得撲通撲通地跳著。”
This adventure made the travelers more anxious than ever to get out of the forest,
這樣的冒險使這些旅客們更加急切地要離開這個森林。
and they walked so fast that Dorothy became tired, and had to ride on the Lion's back.
他們走得特別快,多蘿茜非常疲倦不得不騎在獅子的背上。
To their great joy the trees became thinner the farther they advanced,
一段時間過后樹木逐漸變得稀疏,這讓他們個個都興奮起來。
and in the afternoon they suddenly came upon a broad river, flowing swiftly just before them.
下午,他們突然走到了一條寬闊的大河前,河水流得很急。
On the other side of the water they could see the road of yellow brick running through a beautiful country,
他們看見在河對岸的黃磚路通過一個美麗的地方。
with green meadows dotted with bright flowers and all the road bordered with trees hanging full of delicious fruits.
在那綠油油的草地上,點綴著發光的花朵;磚路兩旁的樹木,掛滿了鮮果。
They were greatly pleased to see this delightful country before them.
他們看見前面有這么一塊美好的地方心中充滿了希望。
"How shall we cross the river?" asked Dorothy.
多蘿茜問:“我們怎么過河?”
"That is easily done," replied the Scarecrow. "The Tin Woodman must build us a raft, so we can float to the other side."
稻草人回答說:“那很簡單的,鐵皮人必須給我們造個木筏,這樣我們就可以漂到對岸去。”