Most women have never heard of the Heidi/Howard study.
大多數女性從未聽說過“海蒂/霍華德”研究,
Most of us are never told about this downside of achievement.
我們中的大多數人也從未聽說過這項研究的負面結果。
Still, we sense this punishment for success.
不過,我們已經感覺到了成功帶來的懲罰。
We're aware that when a woman acts forcefully or competitively, she's deviating from expected behavior.
我們意識到當一位女性表現得強悍果斷或是爭強好勝時,她正在背離她“應有”的行為軌道。
If a woman pushes to get the job done, if she's highly competent, if she focuses on results rather than on pleasing others, she's acting like a man.
如果一位女性對工作進度催得太緊,如果她的工作能力相當強,如果她專注于結果而非取悅他人,她就表現得像個男人。
And if she acts like a man, people dislike her.
而且,如果她像男人那樣行動,人們就會不喜歡她。
In response to this negative reaction, we temper our professional goals.
由于顧及這種負面反應,女性會讓自己在職場上的進取心表現得更為收斂。
Author Ken Auletta summarized this phenomenon in The New Yorker when he observed that for women, "self-doubt becomes a form of self-defense."
作家肯·奧萊塔觀察到了這種現象,并在《紐約客》上做了精準的總結:“(女人的)自我懷疑成了某種形式的自我防衛。”
In order to protect ourselves from being disliked, we question our abilities and downplay our achievements, especially in the presence of others.
為了不讓自己被大家討厭,我們質疑自己的能力,看輕自己的職業追求,尤其是當其他人在場時;
We put ourselves down before others can.
甚至早在別人產生這種看法之前,我們已經自覺矮人一等了。
During the summer between my first and second year in business school,
在哈佛商學院的第一個暑假,
I received a letter in the mail congratulating me on becoming a Henry Ford Scholar for having the highest first-year academic record.
我收到一封郵件,祝賀我以最優異的成績成為“亨利·福特學者”,
The check was for $714.28, an odd number that immediately signaled that several students had split the prize.
獎金是714.28美元。這個奇怪的數字說明了我和其他學生一起分享了這項榮譽。
When we returned to school for our second year, six men let it be known that they had won this award.
當我們返校開始第二年的學習時,有6個男生把自己獲獎的事情告訴了大家。
I multiplied my check by seven and it revealed a nearly round number. Mystery solved.
我把獎金數目乘以七正好接近一個整數,謎底解開了。
There were seven of us—six men and me.
獲獎的一共有7個學生——6個男生和我。