"Get up!" screamed Wilbur. "Stop acting like a spoiled child!
“起來!”威爾伯尖叫,“別再像個慣壞的孩子了!”
Templeton grinned and lay still.
坦普爾頓咧開嘴笑,躺著不動。
"Who made trip after trip to the dump?" he asked. "Why, it was old Templeton!
“是誰一次又一次上垃圾場去?”它問道,“還用說,是老坦普爾頓!
Who saved Charlotte's life by scaring that Arable boy away with a rotten goose egg?
是誰用臭鵝蛋嚇走阿拉布爾家那個男孩救了夏洛的命?
Bless my soul, I believe it was old Templeton.
我的天啊,我相信又是老坦普爾頓。
Who bit your tail and got you back on your feet this morning after you had fainted in front of the crowd? Old Templeton.
今天上午你在觀眾面前昏過去,是誰咬你的尾巴讓你重新站起來?是老坦普爾頓。
Has it ever occurred to you that I'm sick of running errands and doing favors?
你想到過,我這樣給差來差去,做這做那,我已經厭煩了嗎?
What do you think I am, anyway, a rat-of-all-work?"
你以為我是什么,是只有活就差去干的老鼠嗎?”
Wilbur was desperate. The people were coming. And the rat was failing him.
威爾伯真是絕望了。那些人正在走來。老鼠卻不聽它的話。
Suddenly he remembered Templeton's fondness for food.
它忽然想起坦普爾頓貪吃。
"Templeton," he said, "I will make you a solemn promise.
“坦普爾頓,”它說,“我對你莊嚴保證,
Get Charlotte's egg sac for me, and from now on I will let you eat first, when Lurvy slops me.
只要你拿下來夏洛的卵袋,從今以后,當勒維給我喂食的時候,我一定讓你先吃。
I will let you have your choice of everything in the trough and I won't touch a thing until you're through."
我讓你食槽里愛吃什么挑什么吃,在你吃夠之前,我絕不碰食物。”
The rat sat up. "You mean that?" he said.
老鼠一聽就坐起來了。“你這話當真?”它說。
"I promise. I cross my heart."
“我保證,我在心口畫十字。”