Finally, on the day that he was scheduled to make the big announcement, Amelio called Jobs in. He needed an answer.
最后,在要作出這個重大宣布的當天,阿梅里奧把喬布斯請到了辦公室。他需要一個答復。
"Steve, do you just want to take your money and leave?" Amelio asked.
“史蒂夫,你是想拿了錢就走人嗎?”阿梅里奧問,
"It's okay if that's what you want." Jobs did not answer; he just stared.
“如果那是你想要的,也沒問題?!眴滩妓箾]有回答,他只是看著阿梅里奧。
"Do you want to be on the payroll? An advisor?" Again Jobs stayed silent.
“你想成為正式員工嗎?還是做一個顧問?”喬布斯還是一言不發。
Amelio went out and grabbed Jobs's lawyer, Larry Sonsini, and asked what he thought Jobs wanted.
阿梅里奧出去找到喬布斯的律師拉里·松西尼,問他喬布斯到底想要什么。
"Beats me," Sonsini said. So Amelio went back behind closed doors with Jobs and gave it one more try.
“我也不知道?!彼晌髂嵴f。阿梅里奧回到辦公室,關上門,又試了一次:
"Steve, what's on your mind? What are you feeling? Please, I need a decision now."
“史蒂夫,你在想什么?你有什么感覺?拜托,我現在需要一個決定。”
"I didn't get any sleep last night," Jobs replied. "Why? What's the problem?"
“我昨晚一夜沒睡。”喬布斯回答?!盀槭裁??出了什么事?”
"I was thinking about all the things that need to be done and about the deal we're making, and it's all running together for me.
“我在思考所有要做的事情,還有我們這個交易,都壓在了一起。
I'm really tired now and not thinking clearly. I just don't want to be asked any more questions."
我現在真的很累,想不清楚。我就是不想再被問任何問題了。”
Amelio said that wasn't possible. He needed to say something.
阿梅里奧說那不可能。他總得說點兒什么。
Finally Jobs answered, "Look, if you have to tell them something, just say advisor to the chairman."
最后,喬布斯回答說,“好吧,如果你必須要對外說點兒什么,就說是董事會主席的顧問吧?!?/div>
And that is what Amelio did.
阿梅里奧照做了。
The announcement was made that evening -- December 20, 1996 -- in front of 250 cheering employees at Apple headquarters.
當晚--1996年12月20日--在蘋果總部250名歡呼的員工面前,阿梅里奧宣布了這個消息。