"Charlotte," said Wilbur.
“夏洛,”威爾伯說,
"We're all going home today. The Fair is almost over.
“我們今天都要回家了。這集市差不多結束了。
Won't it be wonderful to be back home in the barn cellar again with the sheep and the geese?
重新回到谷倉,又和那些羊和鵝聚在一起,這不是好極了嗎?
Aren't you anxious to get home?"
你不盼著回家嗎?”
For a moment Charlotte said nothing.
夏洛半晌不語。
Then she spoke in a voice so low Wilbur could hardly hear the words.
接著它用那么輕的聲音說話,威爾伯好不容易才聽出來它在說什么。
"I will not be going back to the barn," she said.
“我不回谷倉去了。”它說。
Wilbur leapt to his feet.
威爾伯跳起來。
"Not going back?" he cried.
“不回去?”它叫道,
"Charlotte, what are you talking about?"
“夏洛,你在說什么?”
"I'm done for," she replied.
“我完了,”它回答說,
"In a day or two I'll be dead.
“我一兩天就死。
I haven't even strength enough to climb down into the crate.
我甚至沒有力氣爬到下面板條箱里。
I doubt if I have enough silk in my spinnerets to lower me to the ground."
我懷疑我的吐絲器里是不是還有足夠的絲可以吊到地面。”
Hearing this, Wilbur threw himself down in an agony of pain and sorrow.
威爾伯一聽這話,悲痛萬分,撲倒下來。
Great sobs racked his body.
它大聲抽嗒,
He heaved and grunted with desolation.
渾身哆嗦。它喘著氣悲傷地哼哼叫。
"Charlotte," he moaned. "Charlotte! My true friend!"
“夏洛,我忠實的朋友。”
"Come now, let's not make a scene," said the spider.
“好了,我們不要婆婆媽媽了,”蜘蛛說,
"Be quiet, Wilbur. Stop thrashing about!"
“安靜下來,威爾伯。不要折騰自己了!”
"But I can't stand it," shouted Wilbur.
“可我受不了,”威爾伯大叫,
"I won't leave you here alone to die.
“我不能讓你單獨留下來等死。
If you're going to stay here I shall stay, too."
你留下來我也要留下來。”