As soon as the people were gone, Charlotte spoke to Wilbur.
人們一走,夏洛就對威爾伯說:
"It's a good thing you can't see what I see," she said.
“我在上面看到的東西是你在下面看不到的。”它說。
"What do you see?" asked Wilbur.
“你看到什么了?”威爾伯問道。
"There's a pig in the next pen and he's enormous.
“隔壁豬圈有只豬,很大很大。
I'm afraid he's much bigger than you are."
我怕它比你大多了。”
"Maybe he's older than I am, and has had more time to grow," suggested Wilbur.
“也許它的歲數比我大,活得比我長。”威爾伯說。
Tears began to come to his eyes.
它的眼里流出了淚水。
"I'll drop down and have a closer look," Charlotte said.
“讓我吊下去好好近看看它。”夏洛說。
Then she crawled along a beam till she was directly over the next pen.
于是它順著橫梁爬到隔壁豬圈上面。
She let herself down on a dragline until she hung in the air just in front of the big pig's snout.
它吐出一根長絲,一直落到那大豬的鼻子前面。
"May I have your name?" she asked, politely.
“能請問一下,你叫什么名字嗎?”夏洛彬彬有禮地問道。
The pig stared at her.
那豬看著它。
"No name," he said in a big, hearty voice. "Just call me Uncle."
“我沒有名字,”它響亮地大聲說。“那就叫我‘叔叔’吧。”
"Very well, Uncle," replied Charlotte.
“很好,‘叔叔’,”夏洛回答說,
"What is the date of your birth? Are you a spring pig?"
“你是哪一天出生的?你是春豬嗎?”
"Sure I'm a spring pig," replied Uncle.
“我當然是春豬,”“叔叔”回答說,
"What did you think I was, a spring chicken?
“你以為我是什么,一只春雞嗎?
Haw, haw - that's a good one, eh, Sister."
哈,哈——這笑話不錯吧,對嗎,小妹妹?”
"Mildly funny," said Charlotte. "I've heard funnier ones, though.
“相當滑稽,”夏洛說,“不過我聽到過更滑稽的。
Glad to have met you, and now I must be going."
很高興碰到你,現在我得走了。”
She ascended slowly and returned to Wilbur's pen.
夏洛慢慢地爬上去,回到威爾伯的豬圈。