"Very bad, my Marionette," answered the Farmer, "very bad. If you have no penny, I have no milk."
“太糟糕了,我的木偶,”農民回答說,“太糟糕了,你一分錢也沒有,那我就沒有牛奶給你。”
"Too bad," said Pinocchio and started to go. "Wait a moment," said Farmer John.
“ 太糟糕了。”皮諾喬說著就要走。“等一等,”農民說道
"Perhaps we can come to terms. Do you know how to draw water from a well?" "I can try."
“也許咱們可以商量商量。你知道怎么從井里打水嗎?”“我可以試試。”
"Then go to that well you see yonder and draw one hundred bucketfuls of water." "Very well."
“那么,你去那邊的井抽上來一百桶水。”“很好。”
"After you have finished, I shall give you a glass of warm sweet milk." "I am satisfied."
“等你完成,我就給你一杯牛奶。”“好。”
Farmer John took the Marionette to the well and showed him how to draw the water.
農民約翰把木偶領到井邊,教他怎么打水。
Pinocchio set to work as well as he knew how,
皮諾喬一學會就開始干起活來,
but long before he had pulled up the one hundred buckets, he was tired out and dripping with perspiration.
可他還沒把一百桶水提上來,就已經精疲力盡,全身汗濕了。
He had never worked so hard in his life.
他有生以來還沒這么勞累過。
"Until today," said the Farmer, "my donkey has drawn the water for me, but now that poor animal is dying."
“直到今天,打水都是我的驢子做的,可現在這頭可憐的牲口要死了。”農民說到。
"Will you take me to see him?" said Pinocchio. "Gladly."
“您帶我去看看它行嗎?”“樂意之極。”
As soon as Pinocchio went into the stable, he spied a little Donkey lying on a bed of straw in the corner of the stable.
皮諾喬一走進驢棚,就看見一頭小驢子直挺挺躺在角落的干草堆上。
He was worn out from hunger and too much work.
他被饑餓和過度勞累弄的疲憊不堪。
After looking at him a long time, he said to himself: "I know that Donkey! I have seen him before."
皮諾喬看了它很久,心想道:“我認識這頭驢子!我之前見過它。”
And bending low over him, he asked: "Who are you?"
他彎下腰問它說:“你是誰?”