"Someone must live in that little hut," said Pinocchio. "Let us see for ourselves."
“這小屋準住著人,”皮諾喬說,“咱們上那兒去看看。”
They went and knocked at the door. "Who is it?" said a little voice from within.
他們就走過去敲門。“誰呀?”里面有一個微弱的聲音說到。
"A poor father and a poorer son, without food and with no roof to cover them," answered the Marionette.
“是一個可憐的爸爸和一個可憐的兒子,沒吃沒住的,”木偶回答說。
"Turn the key and the door will open," said the same little voice.
“把鑰匙轉―轉,門就開了,”還是那微弱的聲音說到。
Pinocchio turned the key and the door opened.
皮諾喬轉了轉鑰匙,門開了。
As soon as they went in, they looked here and there and everywhere but saw no one.
他們進屋,這里看看,那里瞧瞧,一個人也沒見。
"Oh—ho, where is the owner of the hut?" cried Pinocchio, very much surprised. "Here I am, up here!"
“噢,房子的主人在哪兒啊?”皮諾喬驚奇地說到。“我在這上面!”
Father and son looked up to the ceiling, and there on a beam sat the Talking Cricket.
爺兒倆馬上抬頭看天花板,看見會說話的蟋蟀在一根柱子上。
"Oh, my dear Cricket," said Pinocchio, bowing politely.
“噢,我親愛的蟋蟀,”皮諾喬很有禮貌地彎腰向它行禮說。
"Oh, now you call me your dear Cricket, but do you remember when you threw your hammer at me to kill me?"
“噢,你這會兒叫我你的‘親愛的蟋蟀’了,可你記得那時候你用一個錘子仍我要砸死我嗎?”
"You are right, dear Cricket. Throw a hammer at me now.
“你說的對,親愛的蟋蟀,現在用錘子扔我吧,
I deserve it! But spare my poor old father."
我活該!不過可憐可憐我這可憐的老父親。”
"I am going to spare both the father and the son.
“爸爸和兒子我都會寬恕。
I have only wanted to remind you of the trick you long ago played upon me,
我只想讓你想起很久以前你對我玩過的把戲,
to teach you that in this world of ours we must be kind and courteous to others, if we want to find kindness and courtesy in our own days of trouble."
為的是告訴你,在這個世界上,如果我們想在遭遇困境的時候得到別人的善意和禮遇,那么我們就必須要善待他人,禮貌待人。”