"You are right, little Cricket, you are more than right, and I shall remember the lesson you have taught me.
“你說的對,小蟋蟀,你說的太對了,我要記住你給我的教訓。
But will you tell how you succeeded in buying this pretty little cottage?"
可你告訴我,你是怎么買來這座漂亮的小房子?”
"This cottage was given to me yesterday by a little Goat with blue hair."
“這小房子是昨天一只長著天藍色羊毛的小山羊送給我的。
"And where did the Goat go?" asked Pinocchio. "I don't know."
“這山羊上哪兒去了?”皮諾喬問道。“我不知道。”
"And when will she come back?" "She will never come back.
“它什么時候回來?”“她永遠不回來了。
Yesterday she went away bleating sadly, and it seemed to me she said:
昨天它傷心地離開,咩咩地叫,像是說:
'Poor Pinocchio, I shall never see him again...the Shark must have eaten him by this time.'"
‘可憐的皮諾喬,我再也看不到他了,鯊魚這會兒準把他給吃掉了。”
"Were those her real words? Then it was she—it was—my dear little Fairy," cried out Pinocchio, sobbing bitterly.
“這些話真是它說的嗎?那就是她!就是我親愛的小仙女!”皮諾喬嚎啕大哭著叫道。
After he had cried a long time, he wiped his eyes and then he made a bed of straw for old Geppetto.
等到他哭了很久,就擦干眼淚,用干草給老杰佩托鋪好了床。
He laid him on it and said to the Talking Cricket: "Tell me, little Cricket, where shall I find a glass of milk for my poor Father?"
他讓他躺好,接著問會說話的蟋蟀:“告訴我,小蟋蟀,哪兒我能給我可憐的爸爸弄到一杯牛奶呢?”
"Three fields away from here lives Farmer John.
“離開這兒三塊田的地方,有個叫約翰的農民。
He has some cows. Go there and he will give you what you want."
他有好幾頭奶牛。你上他那兒,他會給你想要的東西。”
Pinocchio ran all the way to Farmer John's house.
皮諾喬直接跑到了農民那兒去。
The Farmer said to him: "How much milk do you want?"
農民問他:“你要多少牛奶?”
"I want a full glass."
“我要滿滿一杯。”
"A full glass costs a penny. First give me the penny."
“一杯牛奶一美分,先給我錢。”
"I have no penny," answered Pinocchio, sad and ashamed.
“可我一分錢也沒有,”皮諾喬回答說,覺得既難過又難為情。