"Why don't you come with me to the Fair Grounds and lay your eggs there?" pleaded Wilbur.
“你為什么不和我一起到集市,在那里產你的卵呢?”威爾伯懇求著它,
"It would be wonderful fun."
“那會非常好玩的。”
Charlotte gave her web a twitch and moodily watched it sway.
夏洛拉拉它的網,憂郁地看著它晃動。
"I'm afraid not," she said.
“我怕不行,”它說,
"You don't know the first thing about egg laying, Wilbur.
“你不知道產卵最要緊的是什么,威爾伯。
I can't arrange my family duties to suit the management of the County Fair.
我不能讓我的家庭責任遷就集市的安排。
When I get ready to lay eggs, I have to lay eggs, Fair or no Fair.
我要產卵就得產卵,不管集市不集市的。
However, I don't want you to worry about it – you might lose weight.
不過我不要你為這件事擔心——擔心你就會瘦下來。
We'll leave it this way: I'll come to the Fair if I possibly can."
我們就這么講定了:我有可能上集市去我就去。”
"Oh, good! " said Wilbur.
“噢,好!”威爾伯說,
"I knew you wouldn't forsake me just when I need you most."
“我知道,在我最需要你的時候,你是不會丟下我的。”
All that day Wilbur stayed inside, taking life easy in the straw.
那一整天威爾伯待在里面,在麥草上過得舒舒服服。
Charlotte rested and ate a grasshopper.
夏洛也休息下來,吃了一只蚱蜢。
She knew that she couldn't help Wilbur much longer.
它知道再不能給威爾伯幫什么忙了。
In a few days she would have to drop everything
幾天之內它就得丟下一切事情,
and build the beautiful little sac that would hold her eggs.
做那個美麗的小袋來裝它的卵。