Charlotte had worries of her own,
夏洛也有它自己擔心的事,
but she kept quiet about them.
不過它閉口不言。
One morning Wilbur asked her about the Fair.
一天早晨,威爾伯問它集市的事。
"You're going with me, aren't you, Charlotte?" he said
“你和我一起去,對嗎,夏洛?“它說。
"Well, I don't know," replied Charlotte.
“這個嘛,我不知道,”夏洛回答說,
"The Fair comes at a bad time for me.
“對我來說,集市來得不是時候。
I shall find it inconvenient to leave home, even for a few days."
這時候,我不便離開家,哪怕只去幾天。”
"Why?" asked Wilbur.
“為什么呢?”威爾伯問它。
"Oh, I just don't feel like leaving my web.
“噢,我就是覺得不想離開我這張網。
Too much going on around here."
這里事情太多了。”
"Please come with me!" begged Wilbur.
“請和我一起去吧!”威爾伯問它,
"I need you, Charlotte.
“我需要你,夏洛。
I can't stand going to the Fair without you.
不和你一起上集市去,我要受不了的。
You've just got to come."
你就是得去。”
"No," said Charlotte, "I believe I'd better stay home and see if I can't get some work done."
“不,”夏洛說,“我想我最好留在家里,看能不能找到點活兒干。”
"What kind of work?" asked Wilbur.
“什么活兒呢?”威爾伯問道。
"Egg laying. It's time I made an egg sac and filled it with eggs."
“產卵。是我該做一個卵袋,在里面裝滿卵的時候了。”
"I didn't know you could lay eggs," said Wilbur in amazement.
“我不知道你會產卵。”威爾伯驚訝地說。
"Oh, sure," said the spider. "I'm versatile."
“噢,當然,”蜘蛛說,“我是多才多藝的。”
"What does 'versatile' mean - full of eggs?" asked Wilbur.
“‘多才多藝’是什么意思——是滿是卵嗎?”威爾伯問道。
"Certainly not," said Charlotte.
“當然不是,”夏洛說,
"'Versatile' means I can turn with ease from one thing to another.
“‘多才多藝’這意思是我能很容易地從一樣東西變成另一樣東西,
It means I don't have to limit my activities to spinning and trapping and stunts like that."
表示我不用把我的活動局限在結網、捕捉昆蟲這些絕活。”