His newest wife, a pale frail girl of sixteen years, walked beside his litter when they carried him in.
他最新一任妻子是個十六歲的女孩,蒼白瘦弱,跟在他擔架旁邊走進來。
She was the eighth Lady Frey.
她是第八任佛雷夫人。
"It is a great pleasure to see you again after so many years, my lord," Catelyn said.
“大人,多年不見,今日重逢,真是倍感喜悅。”凱特琳道。
The old man squinted at her suspiciously.
老人滿腹狐疑地瞇眼盯著她。
"Is it? I doubt that.
“是么?我倒很懷疑。
Spare me your sweet words, Lady Catelyn, I am too old.
凱特琳夫人,我年紀大了,你就省省這些甜言蜜語吧。
Why are you here?
為什么是你在這里?
Is your boy too proud to come before me himself?
難道說你家兒子太尊貴,不愿親自來見我?
What am I to do with you?"
我又該拿你怎么辦呢?”
Catelyn had been a girl the last time she had visited the Twins,
凱特琳上次造訪孿河城,還是個小女孩,
but even then Lord Walder had been irascible, sharp of tongue, and blunt of manner.
當時的瓦德侯爵便已經是個脾氣暴躁,語氣尖刻且無甚禮貌的人,
Age had made him worse than ever, it would seem.
看來歲月使他更令人難以忍受了。
She would need to choose her words with care, and do her best to take no offense from his.
她的措辭必須格外謹慎,盡全力不去在意他的言語冒犯。
"Father," Sir Stevron said reproachfully,
“父親,”史提夫倫爵士語帶責備地說,
"you forget yourself. Lady Stark is here at your invitation."
“您忘了嗎?凱特琳夫人正是受您之邀而來。”
"Did I ask you? You are not Lord Frey yet, not until I die.
“我在問你嗎?我還沒死,你就不是佛雷侯爵。
Do I look dead?
我看起來像死人嗎?
I'll hear no instructions from you."
我用不著聽你說教。”
"This is no way to speak in front of our noble guest, Father," one of his younger sons said.
“父親大人,這不是待客之道吧?”他另一個年紀較輕的兒子說。
"Now my bastards presume to teach me courtesy," Lord Walder complained.
“這會兒連我的私生子都教訓起我來啦?”瓦德侯爵抱怨,
"I'll speak any way I like, damn you.
“你們都該死,我愛說什么便說什么。