His words crashed among the lords bannermen like a great stone from a catapult.
他的這番話,有如投石機射出的巨石,在北境諸侯中炸裂開來。
Not one of them approved. They cursed, argued, shouted down each other.
眾人均大為不滿,他們或咒罵,或爭執,彼此大呼小叫。
"You must not do this, my lord," Galbart Glover pleaded with Robb.
“大人,您千萬不能去,”蓋伯特·葛洛佛向羅柏陳情。
"Lord Walder is not to be trusted."
“絕不能信任瓦德大人。”
Roose Bolton nodded. "Go in there alone and you're his.
盧斯·波頓點點頭。“單身赴約,您就是任他宰割。
He can sell you to the Lannisters, throw you in a dungeon, or slit your throat, as he likes."
他可以把您賣給蘭尼斯特,把您丟進地牢,甚或割了您喉嚨,一切隨他高興。”
"If he wants to talk to us, let him open his gates, and we will all share his meat and mead," declared Sir Wendel Manderly.
“如果他想跟我們談談,叫他打開城門,讓我們全體進去與他共進晚餐。”文德爾·曼德勒爵士高聲宣布。
"Or let him come out and treat with Robb here, in plain sight of his men and ours," suggested his brother, Sir Wylis.
“干脆要他出來,就在這里宴請羅柏,當著雙方所有人的面。”他的哥哥威里斯爵士提議。
Catelyn Stark shared all their doubts, but she had only to glance at Sir Stevron to see that he was not pleased by what he was hearing.
凱特琳·史塔克與他們同感疑慮,但她只瞄了史提夫倫爵士一眼,便看出他對所見所聞甚感不悅,
A few more words and the chance would be lost.
只要再多幾句,機會就會稍縱即逝。
She had to act, and quickly.
她必須采取行動,越快越好。
"I will go," she said loudly.
“讓我去。”她高聲說。
"You, my lady?" The Greatjon furrowed his brow.
“夫人,您去?”大瓊恩皺起眉頭。
"Mother, are you certain?" Clearly, Robb was not.
“母親,您確定嗎?”顯然,羅柏并不確定。
"Never more," Catelyn lied glibly.
“我當然確定,”凱特琳伶俐地撒謊,
"Lord Walder is my father's bannerman.
“瓦德大人是我父親的封臣,
I have known him since I was a girl.
我從小就認識他,
He would never offer me any harm."
他絕對不會對我怎么樣的。”
Unless he saw some profit in it, she added silently, but some truths did not bear saying, and some lies were necessary.
除非有利可圖,她在心里暗暗注明,但有些事情不能明講,有些謊言也是必須。