And our kids, regardless of where they end up at the end of high school, they're breathless.
我們的孩子,無論高中畢業時結果怎樣,都被壓得喘不過氣。
They're brittle. They're a little burned out.
他們心理脆弱,精疲力竭。
They're a little old before their time, wishing the grown-ups in their lives had said,
他們比實際年齡更老成,盼望著大人告訴他們,
"What you've done is enough, this effort you've put forth in childhood is enough."
“你已經做得夠多了,小時候這么努力已經足夠了。”
And they're withering now under high rates of anxiety and depression and some of them are wondering,
他們現在卻在高分的焦慮和沮喪中慢慢枯萎,有的孩子會想,
will this life ever turn out to have been worth it?
這樣的人生最后究竟有沒有意義?
Well, we parents, we parents are pretty sure it's all worth it.
我們做父母的,當然認為這都有意義。
We seem to behave -- it's like we literally think
我們所表現出來的,
they will have no future if they don't get into one of these tiny set of colleges or careers we have in mind for them.
就像如果他們進不去我們期望的這幾所好大學,或者找不到好工作,他們就沒有未來。
Or maybe, maybe, we're just afraid they won't have a future we can brag about to our friends
或者,只是我們認為可以在朋友面前炫耀,
and with stickers on the backs of our cars. Yeah.
或者只是貼在車屁股上的未來。就是這樣。
But if you look at what we've done, if you have the courage to really look at it,
但如果你看看這件事的后果,如果你有勇氣看的話,
you'll see that not only do our kids think their worth comes from grades and scores,
你會發現這不只讓孩子認為他們的價值來自于成績和分數,
but that when we live right up inside their precious developing minds all the time,
更是在他們正在成長的意識里,
like our very own version of the movie "Being John Malkovich," we send our children the message:
就像我們自己的電影《傀儡人生》一樣,我們給孩子傳遞了一個信號:
"Hey kid, I don't think you can actually achieve any of this without me."
“嘿,孩子,沒有我你什么都干不成。”