"What do I want with a lame donkey?" said the Manager to the stableboy.
班主于是對管畜欄的小廝說:“我要一頭瘸腿驢子能干什么呢?
"Take him to the market and sell him."
帶他到市場上去賣了吧。”
When they reached the square, a buyer was soon found.
到了市場上,買主很快出現了。
"How much do you ask for that little lame Donkey?" he asked. "Four dollars."
他問:“這頭小瘸腿驢子多少錢?”“四美元。”
"I'll give you four cents. Don't think I'm buying him for work.
“我給你四美分。你可別以為我是買它用來干活。
I only want his skin. It looks very tough and I can use it to make myself a drumhead.
我只不過想要他的皮。它的皮挺厚,我可以給自己做個鼓面。
I belong to a musical band in my village and I need a drum."
我隸屬于鎮上的一個樂隊,需要一面鼓。”
I leave it to you, my dear children, to picture to yourself the great pleasure with which Pinocchio heard that he was to become a drumhead!
親愛的小朋友們,當可憐的皮諾喬聽說他注定要變一個大鼓時,他那份高興勁兒就請諸位去想象了!
As soon as the buyer had paid the four cents, the Donkey changed hands.
這買主一付完四美分,驢子就易主了。
His new owner took him to a high cliff overlooking the sea,
他的新主人把他帶到海邊一個懸崖上,
put a stone around his neck, tied a rope to one of his hind feet, gave him a push, and threw him into the water.
他在驢子脖子上吊一塊大石頭,用一根繩子綁住他一條后腿,猛地一推,把他推到水里去了。
Pinocchio sank immediately.
皮諾喬馬上就沉沒了,
And his new master sat on the cliff waiting for him to drown, so as to skin him and make himself a drumhead.
買主坐在懸崖上,只等驢子淹死,好剝他的皮來做鼓面。