"Indeed I did! And I paid four cents for you. Now who will return my money to me?"
“我確實這么做了!我為你花了四美分。現在誰會把錢還我呢?”
"But why did you buy me? You bought me to do me harm—to kill me—to make a drumhead out of me!"
“但是您買我干什么?您買我是要傷害我,把我殺了去做鼓面!”
"Indeed I did! And now where shall I find another skin?"
“我確實這么想的!現在上哪兒再找一張皮呢?”
"Never mind, dear Master. There are so many donkeys in this world."
“沒關系,親愛的主人。在這個世界上驢子多的是。”
"Tell me, impudent little rogue, does your story end here?"
“告訴我,放肆的小家伙,你的故事這就講完了?”
"One more word," answered the Marionette, "and I am through.
木偶回答說:“我還有兩句話就講完了。
After buying me, you brought me here to kill me.
您買了我之后,把我帶到這兒來殺死我。
But feeling sorry for me, you tied a stone to my neck and threw me to the bottom of the sea.
可您又出于對我的同情,把一塊大石頭系在我的脖子上,將我扔到海底。
That was very good and kind of you to want me to suffer as little as possible and I shall remember you always.
您盡量讓我少受罪真是太好了,我將永遠記住您。
And now my Fairy will take care of me, even if you—"
現在我的仙女會照顧我,即便你—”
"Your Fairy? Who is she?"
“你的仙女?她是誰”
"She is my mother, and, like all other mothers who love their children, she never loses sight of me, even though I do not deserve it.
“她是我的媽媽,她跟其他媽媽一樣都是極其愛護自己子女的,她總是看好我,即使我不值得。
And today this good Fairy of mine, as soon as she saw me in danger of drowning, sent a thousand fishes to the spot where I lay.
今天我的好仙女一看見我快被淹死,就派了一大群魚到我躺的地方。
They thought I was really a dead donkey and began to eat me.
它們以為我真是一頭死驢子,就動口吃我。