Dialogue 1
Jingjing: You've been here before, right?
京晶:你以前來過這兒吧?
Mark: Lots of times. I used to live near here. It was my home away from home.
馬克:來過好多次了。我過去就住這附近。這地方對我來說就跟家一樣。
Jingjing: What do you think we should order?
京晶:你覺得我們應該點些什么吃呢?
Mark: Well, pizza, for sure. They have three sizes.
馬克:當然是披薩了。他們這兒有三種尺寸的。
Jingjing: We could order two of the smaller ones. That way, we could get two different kinds of pizza.
京晶:我們可以點兩個小份的。這樣的話,我們就能吃到兩款披薩。
Mark: It's a better deal to get one medium. It's about the same total price. But you end up with more pizza.
馬克:點一個中份的更好。總價都差不多,而且中份的分量還更多。
Jingjing: If you've run the numbers, I'll take your word for it. But I don't want to get stuck with a whole lot of one kind of pizza.
京晶:如果你計算過了,那我就相信你吧。不過我不想就光吃那么一種披薩。
Mark: In the menu, it says we can go half and half. The sauce has to be the same, though.
馬克:菜單上說,我們可以做成兩個不同的一半,不過醬料必須得是用同一款。
Jingjing: So, let's get half with loads of meat, and half with some choice vegetables.
京晶:那就讓我們來一款一半肉多的,一半自選菜的吧。
Mark: Is there anything we should keep off the pizza?
京晶:有什么是我們不放在披薩里的嗎?
Jingjing: I'd rather not have seafood, or anything sweet.
京晶:我寧愿不要海鮮,或者任何甜的東西。
Mark: Same with me. What about mushrooms?
馬克:我也一樣。那蘑菇呢?
Jingjing: If we can stay away from mushrooms, that'd be better.
京晶:如果我們可以不放蘑菇,那更好。
Mark: OK. How about half of this and half of that?
馬克:好,要不這個放一半那個放一半怎么樣?
Jingjing: Great. We're all set.
京晶:行,妥了。
New words: 習語短語
my home away from home家以外的另外一個家,常用來形容讓你感覺舒適、熟悉的地方
(a place you go to often, such as a coffee shop, where you feel comfortable)
a better deal 一個更好的更劃算的選擇
(more value for the money)
end up with 結果是……
(have, as a result)
run the numbers 計算
(calculate)
take (someone's) word for it 直接相信某人所說
(believe someone without finding out on one's own)
Dialogue 2
Mark: I'm glad we got that pizza going right away. What else would you like to order—salad, soup, chicken wings?
馬克:真好我們這就把披薩點好了。其他你還有什么想要點的嗎?——沙拉,湯,雞翅?
Jingjing: I can't really decide.
京晶:我還真沒主意。
Mark: Let me grab another menu so you can keep looking.
馬克:讓我再拿一份菜單,這樣的話你就能繼續再看看。
Jingjing: Besides pizza, what's good here?
京晶:除了披薩之外,這家店還有什么好吃的?
Mark: Actually, it's all mostly pub grub. There's no need to think about it too much.
馬克:事實上,都差不多是些酒吧快食(油炸類食物)。不用考慮太多了。
Jingjing: It would be nice to have a salad.
京晶:來份沙拉就挺好的了。
Mark: The salads are okay here. And by okay, I mean so-so. And by so-so, I mean not worth it.
馬克:這里的沙拉也還行。還行,我的意思是說一般般吧,一般般,我的意思其實是說不值得點啦。
Jingjing: Uh, o-kay—oh, is that our pizza already?
京晶:額,那好吧。那是我們的披薩好了嗎?
Mark: He's coming toward us—oh, fake out! It was for the people at the next table.
馬克:他正向我們這一桌走過來呢。噢!假象!這是隔壁桌的菜。
Jingjing: Wow, that's a huge pizza. Is that the size we ordered?
京晶:哇哦,好大的一個披薩啊!這是我們點的那個尺寸嗎?
Mark: That's the large. But the medium is more than enough for the two of us.
馬克:那是個大份的。中份的對咱倆來說已經足夠了。
Jingjing: You should have said so earlier.
京晶:你早說就好了。
Mark: Yeah, this is frat-boy pizza. It's easy to get your fill.
馬克:對啊,這一款是又大又厚的那種披薩,很容易就能讓你填飽肚皮。
Jingjing: I'll stop looking at this menu, then.
京晶:那我現在就不繼續看菜單了。
New words: 習語短語
got that pizza going 點好了某種餐食,廚房已經開始準備了
(ordered an item on the menu, so that the kitchen is cooking it)
pub grub 酒吧小食
(fried food, usually served at bars)
fake out 迷惑某人的假象
(got me to believe something briefly, which turned out to be otherwise)
frat-boy pizza 大而厚的披薩
(big, thick pizza with lots of cheese and toppings, usually not fine quality)
get your fill 吃飽,填飽
(have more than enough to eat)