You know, the mind whizzes away like a washing machine going round and round,
你們知道的,大腦(心靈)總是像一臺洗衣機般颼颼運轉,反反復復,
lots of difficult, confusing emotions, and we don't really know how to deal with that.
許多復雜、令人困惑的感情,而我們卻不真的知道怎么來應對,
And the sad fact is that we are so distracted that we're no longer present in the world in which we live.
可悲的事實是我們如此分心以至于我們不再處在自己當下生活的這個世界。
We miss out on the things that are most important to us,
我們錯過了對我們而言最重要的事情,
and the crazy thing is that everybody just assumes, that's the way life is,
而瘋狂的是每個人都只是以為,哦,這就是生活,
so we've just kind of got to get on with it. That's really not how it has to be.
我們不得不這么過。但生活真的不必須成為這樣子。
So I was about 11 when I went along to my first meditation class.
當我去上我第一節冥想課的時候我只有11歲。
And trust me, it had all the stereotypes that you can imagine, the sitting cross-legged on the floor,
相信我,課里有所有你能想到的關于冥想的成見,盤腿坐在地板上,
the incense, the herbal tea, the vegetarians, the whole deal,
焚香,藥茶,素食主義者,全部東西,
but my mom was going and I was intrigued, so I went along with her.
但我媽媽當時參加了,而我也感興趣,所以我跟她一起去了。
I'd also seen a few kung fu movies, and secretly I kind of thought I might be able to learn how to fly,
我還看了幾部功夫電影,私下里我想我或許能學會怎么飛起來,
but I was very young at the time.
但我那時實在非常年輕。
Now as I was there, I guess, like a lot of people, I assumed that it was just an aspirin for the mind.
我想,當我在那里的時候,像很多人一樣,我假定那只是一顆給大腦(心靈)的阿司匹林。
You get stressed, you do some meditation.
當感到壓力的時候,你就冥想一會。
I hadn't really thought that it could be sort of preventative in nature,
我不曾真的考慮那本質上會是一種阻礙,
until I was about 20, when a number of things happened in my life in quite quick succession,
直到我大約20歲,一些事情在我的人生中接連地發生,
really serious things which just flipped my life upside down and all of a sudden I was inundated with thoughts,
那是一些把我的生活整個顛倒的事情而突然之間我被各種思緒淹沒了,
inundated with difficult emotions that I didn't know how to cope with.
淹沒在我不知道如何應付的復雜感情里。
Every time I sort of pushed one down, another one would pop back up again.
每當我快要解決其中一個的時候,另一個會又一次的冒出來。
It was a really very stressful time.
那真的是一段非常難熬的時間。