"You don't suppose that that spider ..." began Mr. Zuckerman - but he shook his head and didn't finish the sentence.
“你想,不會是那蜘蛛……”朱克曼先生開口說——可他搖搖頭,沒把話說完。
Instead, he walked solemnly back up to the house and spoke to his wife. "Edith, something has happened," he said, in a weak voice.
相反,他莊重地回到屋里去對他太太說了。“伊迪絲,出怪事了。”他有氣無力地說。
He went into the living room and sat down, and Mrs. Zuckerman followed.
他走進起居室,坐下來,朱克曼太太跟著進來。
"I've got something to tell you, Edith," he said. "You better sit down."
“我有事要告訴你,伊迪絲,”他說,“你最好坐下。”
Mrs. Zuckerman sank into a chair. She looked pale and frightened
朱克曼太太跌坐在椅子上。她看上去面色蒼白,怕得不得了。
"Edith," he said, trying to keep his voice steady, "I think you had best be told that we have a very unusual pig."
“伊迪絲,”他拼命保持著平靜,說:“我想,你必須得說,我們有一只極不尋常的小豬。”
A look of complete bewilderment came over Mrs. Zuckerman's face.
朱克曼太太臉上露出完全困惑不解的神情。
"Homer Zuckerman, what in the world are you talking about?" she said.
“霍默·朱克曼,天啊,你到底在說什么啊?”她說。
"This is a very serious thing, Edith," he replied. "Our pig is completely out of the ordinary."
“這是一件非常嚴重的事情,伊迪絲,”他回答說,“我們的小豬根本不是一只普通的豬。”
"What's unusual about the pig?"asked Mrs. Zuckerman, who was beginning to recover from her scare.
“這小豬有什么不尋常啊?”朱克曼太太問道,她正開始從驚嚇中恢復過來。