My fellow Americans,
我的美國同胞們,
This week, in the company of astronauts, I was honored to sign the NASA Transition Authorization Act right into law.
本周,在宇航員們的陪伴下,我很榮幸簽署NASA過渡授權法案成為法律。
With this legislation, we renew our national commitment to NASA'S mission of exploration and discovery.
在這一法律框架下,我們重申對NASA探索和發現使命的承諾。
And We continue a tradition that is as old as mankind.
我們繼續著人類自古以來的傳統。
We look to the heavens with wonder and curiosity.
我們面對天空仍然充滿著懷疑和好奇。
More than two decades ago, one scientist followed his curiosity and dramatically changed our understanding of the universe.
20多年前,一個科學家帶著他的好奇,戲劇性地改變了我們對宇宙的理解。
The year was 1995. Taxpayers were spending billions and billions of dollars on NASA's Hubble Space Telescope.
那是在1995年。納稅人在NASA的哈勃太空望遠鏡上花了幾十億幾十億的資金。
The astronomer in charge had a novel idea.
負責望遠鏡的天文學家有了新點子。
He wanted to use the expensive telescope in a totally unconventional way.
他想用完全非傳統的方式來使用這昂貴的天文望遠鏡。
Instead of pointing Hubble's eye at nearby stars or distant formations, Robert Williams wanted to peer into the void.
讓哈勃不再盯著附近的星球或者遙遠的星系,羅伯特.威廉姆斯要進入虛空世界。
He aimed the massive telescope at one of the emptiest regions of the night sky.
他將大量的望遠鏡瞄準夜空中最空曠的地方。