Any spoken language that's used by real people has them.
任何口語都有這些詞語。
If you happen to speak Japanese, think about that little word "ne" that you use at the end of a lot of sentences.
如果你會說日語的話,想想你在很多句子后面加上的那個“ne”字。
If you listen to the way black youth today speak, think about the use of the word "yo."
如果你聽現在的年輕黑人說話,想想這個詞“yo”的使用。
Whole dissertations could be written about it, and probably are being written about it.
這都夠寫學術論文的了,說不定人們已經開始寫了。
A pragmatic particle, that's what LOL has gradually become.
LOL已經逐漸演變成了一個口頭禪。
It's a way of using the language between actual people. Another example is "slash."
這就是人們使用語言的一種方式。另外一個例子是“slash.”(斜線符號)
Now, we can use slash in the way that we're used to,
看看這個句子,"我們要去一個派對
along the lines of, "We're going to have a party-slash-networking session."
同時(slash)來擴展一下人脈,slash這里連接派對和擴展人脈兩個活動。
That's kind of like what we're at.
我們通常這么使用這個字。
Slash is used in a very different way in texting among young people today.
今天Slash這個字用在年輕人的短信里卻有非常不同的意思。
It's used to change the scene. So for example, this Sally person says,
它被用來轉換話題。比如說,這個薩莉說,
"So I need to find people to chill with" and Jake says, "Haha"
“我想找個伴兒來陪我”,然后,杰克說,“哈哈”
you could write a dissertation about "Haha" too, but we don't have time for that
你也可以寫一篇關于“哈哈”的論文,但是我們沒有時間聊它了
"Haha so you're going by yourself? Why?"
“哈哈,所以你自己去?為什么?”
Sally: "For this summer program at NYU."
薩莉說:“是今天夏天在紐約的項目。”
Jake: "Haha. Slash I'm watching this video with suns players trying to shoot with one eye."
杰克:“哈哈。Slash(對了),我正在看這個視頻,太陽隊的球員正試著用一只眼投籃。”
The slash is interesting. I don't really even know what Jake is talking about after that,
這個Slash在這里很有趣。我都不知道杰克這之后到底在說些什么,
but you notice that he's changing the topic.
但是大家注意到他在轉換話題。
Now that seems kind of mundane, but think about how in real life,
這看上去很平常,但是想想我們的現實生活,
if we're having a conversation and we want to change the topic, there are ways of doing it gracefully.
如果我們在談話中想轉換話題,有很多很好的方式。
You don't just zip right into it. You'll pat your thighs and look wistfully off into the distance,
你不會隨便地單刀直入。你會拍拍大腿然后若有所思的看著遠方,
or you'll say something like, "Hmm, makes you think"
或者你會說,“嗯......”來假裝你在思考著,
when it really didn't, but what you're really -- what you're really trying to do is change the topic.
但實際上,實際上你正在試圖切換話題。