Once you have things in your pocket that can receive that message,
一旦你在口袋里有了能接受這個信息的裝置,
then you have the conditions that allow that we can write like we speak.
你就有條件來像說話一樣打字了。
And that's where texting comes in. And so, texting is very loose in its structure.
這時短信就出現了。所以,短信在結構上非常松散。
No one thinks about capital letters or punctuation when one texts,
沒有人在寫短信的時候在乎大寫字母或者標點,
but then again, do you think about those things when you talk?
話說回來,你在說話的時候也會想到這些東西嗎?
No, and so therefore why would you when you were texting?
不,那么為什么要在寫短信的時候這樣做呢?
What texting is, despite the fact that it involves
除了與用手操作的書面文字表達有關外,
the brute mechanics of something that we call writing, is fingered speech. That's what texting is.
短信其實就是一種“指語”,這就是短信。
Now we can write the way we talk.
現在我們可以像說話一樣打字。
And it's a very interesting thing, but nevertheless easy to think that still it represents some sort of decline.
這是非常有趣的事情,盡管人們很容易認為短信的出現象征著一種倒退。
We see this general bagginess of the structure,
我們看到短信在結構上的松散,
the lack of concern with rules and the way that we're used to
缺乏一定的規則,
learning on the blackboard, and so we think that something has gone wrong.
和我們習慣在黑板上學習的方式不同,我們就想當然的認為出問題了。
It's a very natural sense.
這么想也很自然。
But the fact of the matter is that what is going on is a kind of emergent complexity.
但事實上,它其實是自然而然產生的,并具有一定的復雜性。
That's what we're seeing in this fingered speech.
這就是我們在這種“指語”上看到的。
And in order to understand it, what we want to see is the way, in this new kind of language, there is new structure coming up.
為了更好的理解它,我們想要看到的是,在這種新的“語言”中,它其實是具有一種新的結構。