And so, for example, there is in texting a convention, which is LOL.
比如說,在短信里有這樣一個習慣用語,就是LOL。
Now LOL, we generally think of as meaning "laughing out loud."
我們通常認為LOL的意思是“捧腹大笑”。
And of course, theoretically, it does,
當然,從理論上看,它確實是這個意思,
and if you look at older texts, then people used it to actually indicate laughing out loud.
如果我們看看過去的一些短信,人們確實用它來表示笑的很開心。
But if you text now, or if you are someone who is aware of the substrate of texting the way it's become,
但是對于現在的短信,或者你很注意短信從根本上是怎么出現的,
you'll notice that LOL does not mean laughing out loud anymore.
你就會注意到LOL不再意味著“捧腹大笑”了。
It's evolved into something that is much subtler.
它已演變成某種更微妙的東西。
This is an actual text that was done by a non-male person of about 20 years old not too long ago.
這是一段真實的短信對話,它是由一個20出頭的姑娘在前不久寫的。
"I love the font you're using, btw."
第一句:“順便說一句,我喜歡你用的字體。”
Julie: "lol thanks gmail is being slow right now"
朱莉: "lol,謝謝,谷歌郵箱現在變得好慢"
Now if you think about it, that's not funny. No one's laughing.
如果大家想想看,這可不好笑。也沒有人在笑。
And yet, there it is, so you assume there's been some kind of hiccup.
但是,這個字(lol)卻在那里,你會認為這可能就是打錯了。
Then Susan says "lol, I know,"
然后蘇珊說“lol,我知道,”
again more guffawing than we're used to when you're talking about these inconveniences.
再一次,真讓人“捧腹大笑”。這可不是我們一般遇上這樣麻煩事的態度。
So Julie says, "I just sent you an email."
朱莉接著說,“我剛給你發了封郵件。”
Susan: "lol, I see it." Very funny people, if that's what LOL means.
蘇珊:“lol,我收到了。”非常有趣的兩個人,如果這是LOL的真實意思的話。
This Julie says, "So what's up?"
朱莉說,“最近怎么樣?”
Susan: "lol, I have to write a 10 page paper."
蘇珊:“lol,我得寫一篇10頁的作文。”
She's not amused. Let's think about it.
這么看的話,她可不開心。
LOL is being used in a very particular way.
LOL是以一種特別的方式被使用的。
It's a marker of empathy. It's a marker of accommodation.
它代表著感同身受,代表著某種無奈妥協。
We linguists call things like that pragmatic particles.
我們語言學家稱之為“口頭禪”。