"I was just saying," whined the Marionette in a whisper, "that it seems too late for me to go to school now."
“我想說的是,”木偶低聲抱怨說,“我現在才去上學,好像晚了點。”
"No, indeed. Remember it is never too late to learn."
“一點也不晚。你記住了,學習是永遠不嫌晚。”
"But I don't want either trade or profession."
“可我既不想做生意也不想工作。”
"Why?" -"Because work wearies me!"
“為什么?” “因為干活使我太累。”
"My dear boy," said the Fairy, "people who speak as you do usually end their days either in a prison or in a hospital.
“我親愛的孩子,”仙女說,“和你一樣說這些話的人,最后一般差不是進了監獄就是進了醫院。
A man, remember, whether rich or poor, should do something in this world.
一個人,不管是窮是富,在這個世界上都得做點事。
No one can find happiness without work. Woe betide the lazy fellow!
沒有人可以不勞而獲。懶惰沒有好結果!
Laziness is a serious illness and one must cure it immediately; yes, even from early childhood. If not, it will kill you in the end."
懶惰是一種很壞的毛病,必須馬上治好,是的,尤其是從小開始。否則,它總有一天會害死你。”
These words touched Pinocchio's heart. He lifted his eyes to his Fairy and said seriously: "I'll work; I'll study; I'll do all you tell me.
這番話打動了皮諾喬的心。他抬起眼睛來,嚴肅地對仙女說:“我要干活,我要學習,您說什么我就做什么。
After all, the life of a Marionette has grown very tiresome to me and I want to become a boy, no matter how hard it is.
畢竟,木偶的生活對我來說太無聊了,不管有多困難,我都想要變成一個孩子。
You promise that, do you not?" -"Yes, I promise, and now it is up to you."
你答應我了,不是嗎?” “是的,我答應了,現在取決的是你。”
End of Chapter.
本章結束。