"Why not? It's true, and I have to say what is true.
“為什么不說?這是真的,我得說實話。
I am not entirely happy about my diet of flies and bugs, but it's the way I'm made.
我對吃蒼蠅和甲蟲并不真正感到快活,可我天生就這樣。
A spider has to pick up a living somehow or other, and I happen to be a trapper.
蜘蛛總得想辦法活下去啊,碰巧我是一個結網捉蟲的。
I just naturally build a web and trap flies and other insects.
我只是生來就結網捉蒼蠅和其他昆蟲。
My mother was a trapper before me. Her mother was a trapper before her.
在我之前,我媽媽結網捉蟲。在它之前,它媽媽結網捉蟲。
All our family have been trappers.
我們一家都結網捉蟲。
Way back for thousands and thousands of years we spiders have been laying for flies and bugs."
再回過去幾千幾萬年,我們蜘蛛一直埋伏著捉蒼蠅和甲蟲。”
"It's a miserable inheritance," said Wilbur, gloomily.
“這真是一種悲慘的遺傳,”威爾伯難過地說。
He was sad because his new friend was so bloodthirsty.
它之所以這么難過是因為它這位新朋友那么嗜血。
"Yes, it is," agreed Charlotte. "But I can't help it.
“不錯,是這樣,”夏洛同意說,“可我沒辦法。
I don't know how the first spider in the early days of the world
我不知道開天辟地以來,第一只蜘蛛是怎么會
happened to think up this fancy idea of spinning a web,
想出結網這個異想天開的主意的,
but she did, and it was clever of her, too.
可它做到了,它也真叫聰明。
And since then, all of us spiders have had to work the same trick. It's not a bad pitch, on the whole."
從此以后,我們所有的蜘蛛都得玩同樣的把戲。總的說來,這不是個壞點子。”