"It's cruel," replied Wilbur, who did not intend to be argued out of his position.
“這很殘忍。”威爾伯回答說,它不打算被說服而放棄自己的立場。
"Well, you can't talk." said Charlotte.
“這個嘛,你沒有發言權,”夏洛說,
"You have your meals brought to you in a pail.
“你是有人用桶子送東西給你吃。
Nobody feeds me. I have to get in own living. I live by my wits.
可沒有人給我東西吃。我得自己謀生。我靠自己的本事過活。
I have to be sharp and clever, lest I go hungry.
我得機智靈活,要不然就挨餓。
I have to think things out, catch what I can, take what comes.
我得自己想辦法,能捉什么捉什么,來什么捉什么。
And it just so happens, my friend, that what comes is flies and insects and bugs.
就是這樣,我的朋友,來的是蒼蠅、昆蟲和甲蟲。
And furthermore," said Charlotte, shaking one of her legs,
再說,”夏洛抖著它的一條腿說,
"do you realize that if I didn't catch bugs and eat them,
“你知道嗎,如果我不捉甲蟲,不吃掉它們,
bugs would increase and multiply and get so numerous that they'd destroy the earth, wipe out everything?"
甲蟲就會增加,成倍成倍地增加,多得會破壞地球,把所有的東西一掃而光?”
"Really?" said Wilbur. "I wouldn't want that to happen.
“真的?”威爾伯說,“我不希望出這樣的事。
Perhaps your web is a good thing after all."
這么說,你的網也許還是個好東西。”