"Oh, yes indeed," said Wilbur.
“噢,看見了,還用說,”威爾伯說,
"Yes indeed! How are you? Good morning! Salutations! Very pleased to meet you.
“看見了,一點不錯,看見了!你好!你早!敬禮!很高興看到你。
What is your name, please? May I have your name?"
請問你叫什么名字?我可以請問你的名字嗎?”
"My name," said the spider, "is Charlotte."
“我的名字嘛,”那蜘蛛說,“叫夏洛。”
"Charlotte what?" asked Wilbur, eagerly.
“夏洛什么?”威爾伯急著問。
"Charlotte A. Cavatica. But just call me Charlotte."
“夏洛·阿·卡瓦蒂卡。不過叫我夏洛就行了。”
"I think you're beautiful," said Wilbur.
“我覺得你很美。”威爾伯說。
"Well, I am pretty," replied Charlotte.
“這個嘛,我是美,”夏洛回答說,
"There's no denying that. Almost all spiders are rather nice-looking.
“這是沒說的。幾乎所有的蜘蛛都十分美。
I'm not as flashy as some, but I'll do.
我還不及有一些蜘蛛耀眼,
I wish I could see you, Wilbur, as clearly as you can see me."
不過我會做到的。我真希望我看你能跟你看我那樣清清楚楚,威爾伯。”
"Why can't you?" asked the pig. "I'm right here."
“你為什么不能呢?”小豬問道,“我就在這里。”
"Yes, but I'm near-sighted," replied Charlotte.
“沒錯,不過我近視眼,”夏洛回答說,
"I've always been dreadfully near-sighted.
“我一向近視得厲害。
It's good in some ways, not so good in others. Watch me wrap up this fly."
在某些方面這也很好,可在某些方面就不那么好。看我捆住這只蒼蠅吧。”