Day in and day out know about the Pygmalion effect? The Pygmalion effect that we are going to talk about
日復一日地研究皮格馬利翁效應?我們下周或再下周會探討
Next week or the week after, shows how teachers' expectations are self fulfilling prophecies.
皮格馬利翁效應說明為什么教師的期望就是自我實現的預言
And if we have high expectations, if we see the seed of greatness in the students,
如果我們有很高的期望如果我們在學生身上看到偉大的潛能
That seed of greatness is more likely to flourish. Or if we don't appreciate it,
那么這種潛能就更可能被激發或者 如果我們看不到這潛能
It will depreciate wither and die. How many teachers know about these studies?
它就會像剛萌芽的幼苗一樣被扼殺有多少教師了解這些研究?
And how they create through their beliefs the self fulfilling prophecy when it comes to their students?
他們怎樣通過自己的信念創造出自我實現的預言 來影響學生?
How many teachers know about Marva Collins? Every teacher in the world on the first day of teacher training
有多少教師了解Marva Collins?每個教師在第一次接受教師培訓時
Need to learn about Marva Collins and Pygmalion effect. They don't do that.
需要了解Marva Collins和皮格馬利翁效應但事實并非如此
How about this? Self esteem.
接下來談自我尊重
How do you increase self esteem? If I have to do a poll here, most people,
你如何提升自尊?如果我在這里做一項民意調查 保證大多數人
Guaranteed, would say praise people. Praise people. Praise children.
會說通過贊美來提升贊美別人 贊美孩子
It will enhance their self esteem. Right. Partially right.
這將增強他們的自尊說對了一部分
And if it's taken as the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, it's detrimental.
如果把這當作全部的真理則是有害的
Because there is a lot of research that shows when we praise people indiscriminately,
因為有很多研究顯示當我們不加區別地贊揚別人
We are actually in the long run potentially hurting them more than helping them,
我們實際上是在長期地默默地傷害他們 而非幫助他們