Whether it's Harvard, whether it's America a real privilege. You see, many of you,
無論是在哈佛 還是在美國 真的很榮幸你們許多人
Not far from now, you will be in influential positions. Will you be able to do a lot of good
不久將會身居要職你們能夠做善事嗎
In a for profit organization, not for profit organization, on the board of your previous school,
在一個非營利機構里行善在你母校的董事會
With your money, with your time? However
貢獻金錢和時間然而
And here is the however i've met many grad students with me
這是個原因我與許多研究生相處過
Or students when I was a tutor who express their frustration to me.
或當導師時的學生學生曾跟我談及他們的困擾
They said to me, You know, I had all the good intentions in the world.
他們曾對我說 你知道我曾有世界上最良好的意愿
I have all the good intentions in the world. I want to do good. I've donated my time, my money.
我有最善良的心 想為世界作貢獻我奉獻出時間和金錢
But I feel that something is missing. I feel that i've fallen short of my potential
但還是覺得若有所失我覺得我能改變世界的能力
To really make a difference. Why? Because good will and idealism,
越來越弱了 為什么呢?因為美好的意愿和理想主義
While necessary, they are not sufficient. Not enough.
雖然必要 但卻是不夠的遠遠不夠
Because very often, with very good intentions, we may fall short of what we are capable of doing,
因為很多時候 即使有很好的意愿我們的能力還是有限
Or in some situations, even hurt more than help. And we'll look at some of these studies,
或在某些情況下 我們帶來的傷害多于幫助有一些研究表明