The assassination of Abraham Lincoln is witnessed by more than 1500 people, yet no two accounts match.
目擊亞伯拉罕·林肯遇刺的證人 有1500多人 但是沒有兩份證詞相匹配
Even now, scarcely two hours after Booth pulls the trigger,the details fail to correspond.
即使到那時 距布思扣動扳機還不到兩小時 描述的遇刺細節卻無法一致
Mark Twain once wrote that the very ink with which all history is written is merely fluid prejudice.
馬克·吐溫曾經寫道 書寫歷史的唯一墨水 就是不斷變化的偏見
And so it is that an objective account of any historical event simply does not exist.
因此 對于一件歷史事件的客觀描述 是完全不存在的
A.M.S. Crawford.William Henry Hawk.James P. Ferguson.I thought, at first, he was intoxicated.There was a glare in his eye.
AMS·克勞福德 威廉·亨利·浩克 詹姆斯·P·弗格森 最初我以為他喝醉了 他眼露兇光
I turned to Captain McGowan,intending to say something in reference to this man's manner.
我轉向麥高文上校 打算評論一下 這個人的舉止
I was looking with an opera glass to see which citizen it was with the president.
我當時正用小雙筒望遠鏡 來看總統身邊的人是誰
The next instant, the shot was fired.
緊接著 他就開槍了
I said, at once, it was the president's box,and jumped to the door.
我馬上就說 那是總統的包廂 立刻沖到門口
I was on stage at the time of the firing.
開槍的時候我正在舞臺上
And he put his hands on the cushion of the box,and he threw his feet right over.
他的手扶了一下包廂的墻 徑直跳了下來
He pulled part of a state flag off.
他扯下來一片聯邦國旗
And as I looked towards him,he came in the direction in which I was standing.
我看向他的時候 他從我站著的那個方向走過來
Can you describe the man's form that jumped from the box?
您能描述一下他是怎么從包廂跳下來的嗎
Yes, sir. I saw him as he ran across the stage.
可以 先生 我看到他從舞臺上跑過去
As he ran across, he looked right up in my face.
他一邊跑 一邊抬頭看向我的臉